PETA's Rome strikes Again: Fish Bowl Ban Wins Award

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: There's no need to spend money on something that's not going to be beneficial to them in the long run.
Mk
Aside from their eco-terrorism funding, PETA lobbyists managed to convince a group of sorry-asses that fishbowls are evil.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051026/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_italy_pets
The classic spherical fish bowls are banned under a new by-law which also stops fish or other animals being given away as fairground prizes. It comes after a national law was passed to allow jail sentences for people who abandon cats or dogs.

"It's good to do whatever we can for our animals who in exchange for a little love fill our existence with their attention," said Monica Cirinna, the councillor behind the by-law. "The civilisation of a city can also be measured by this," she told Rome daily Il Messaggero.

The newspaper reported that round bowls caused fish to go blind. No one at Rome council was available to confirm this was why they were banned. Many fish experts say round bowls provide insufficient oxygen for fish.

Animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, said Rome had gone further protecting fish than anywhere else in the world and gave Cirinna its "International Humanitarian Award".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...

Maybe Bush is wrong in bombing and killing Al Qaeda

I think we know who the real raving lunatics are here...

What's crazy about it? Fishbowls are a very unpleasant for fish - there's very little surface area (hence oxygen), little volume, usually no filtration or cirulation, etc. It's a death trap - this law seems reasonable to me.

Without having read any scientific studies on it, I have heard for years that spherical containers are bad for fish. If that's true, I see no reason not to prevent people from using them. Rectangular aquariums are easy enough to come by, and you'd suppose that if people keep fish, they like them and wouldn't feel inconvenienced in being prevented from inadvertantly hurting the fish.

I think they've missed the mark a bit, but it's not entirely unfounded either. The problem isn't the shape of the bowl, but the size. I've never heard anything about it causing blindness, but fish don't thrive in small bowls or tanks. Goldfish seem to be the ones often sold in those sorts of bowls, and they really don't do well; they can have a very long lifespan, but in a bowl, you're lucky when they survive a few weeks. They're much better suited for large tanks or ponds.

There are a few species of tropical fishes that can do well enough in a bowl without filters (assuming you change the water often enough to keep it sufficiently oxygenated for them), but it's very unnatural for them to be confined to such a small space for swimming. The lack of filters on these small bowls is another problem with them; the water isn't kept oxygenated.

If you want to raise fish, make the investment into proper equipment and research the needs of the species you're selecting to make sure you're providing a comfortable habitat for them.

1. What is PETA's Rome Strikes Again: Fish Bowl Ban Wins Award?

PETA's Rome Strikes Again: Fish Bowl Ban Wins Award is a campaign launched by the animal rights organization PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to ban the use of fish bowls as a common household pet.

2. Why does PETA want to ban fish bowls?

PETA argues that fish bowls are too small and restrictive for fish to thrive in and that they do not provide enough space or stimulation for these animals. They also believe that fish should not be kept as pets at all.

3. What award did PETA's Rome Strikes Again campaign win?

In 2019, PETA's Rome Strikes Again campaign won the Compassion Award from the Rome-based animal rights organization, LAV (Lega Anti Vivisezione). This award recognizes PETA's efforts to raise awareness about the welfare of fish and promote a more compassionate treatment of animals.

4. Has the ban on fish bowls been successful?

PETA has successfully convinced many retailers to stop selling fish bowls and has also seen an increase in the number of cities and countries implementing bans on fish bowls. However, the ban is not yet widespread and there are still many places where fish bowls are sold and used as pets.

5. How can I help support PETA's Rome Strikes Again campaign?

You can support PETA's Rome Strikes Again campaign by spreading awareness about the welfare of fish and the negative impact of fish bowls. You can also choose not to buy or use fish bowls as pets and support companies and organizations that promote ethical treatment of animals.

Back