Summit of the Americas: US-proposed FTA Stalls

• News
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the fourth Summit of the Americas, which took place on November 5th, concluded without reaching a trade agreement due to a deadlock caused by a left-wing group of countries led by Brazil and Venezuela. This group argued that the proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas would lead to exploitation and not sufficiently reduce poverty. Despite this, the conversation suggests that the speaker is supportive of South America standing up for itself and potentially moving to Brazil for citizenship.
Smurf
The fourth Summit of the Americas was concluded on the 5th of November. The US-proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas, the largest debate on the table, ended in a deadlock after a left-wing group of countries lead by Brazil and Venezuela refused, arguing that it would open their countries to exploitation and not sufficiently reduce poverty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_de...ricas#Summit_Fails_to_Reach_a_Trade_Agreement

Yay! I knew South America would stand up for it's self. :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Smurf said:
The fourth Summit of the Americas was concluded on the 5th of November. The US-proposed Free Trade Area of the Americas, the largest debate on the table, ended in a deadlock after a left-wing group of countries lead by Brazil and Venezuela refused, arguing that it would open their countries to exploitation and not sufficiently reduce poverty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar_de...ricas#Summit_Fails_to_Reach_a_Trade_Agreement
Yay! I knew South America would stand up for it's self. :approve:
I have some good friends from Brazil.

If I move to South America, would I still be an American?

Skyhunter said:
If I move to South America, would I still be an American?
Who cares, I'd rather have Brazilian citizenship anyways.

What is the Summit of the Americas?

The Summit of the Americas is a meeting of leaders from countries in North, South, and Central America, as well as the Caribbean, to discuss political, economic, and social issues affecting the region.

What is the US-proposed FTA?

The US-proposed FTA stands for the United States-proposed Free Trade Agreement. It is a proposed trade agreement between the United States and countries in the Americas that aims to reduce trade barriers and increase economic cooperation between the participating countries.

Why has the US-proposed FTA stalled?

The US-proposed FTA has stalled due to differing opinions and concerns among the participating countries. Some countries, such as Canada and Mexico, have expressed concerns about the potential impact on their domestic industries and labor rights. Other countries have raised concerns about the environmental and social implications of the agreement.

What are the potential benefits of the US-proposed FTA?

The potential benefits of the US-proposed FTA include increased trade and economic growth, improved access to markets for goods and services, and the potential for job creation. It also aims to promote greater regional cooperation and integration among the participating countries.

What are the potential drawbacks of the US-proposed FTA?

The potential drawbacks of the US-proposed FTA include the potential for job losses in certain industries, the potential for increased inequality and exploitation of labor, and the potential for negative environmental and social impacts. There are also concerns about the potential for the agreement to favor larger, more powerful countries over smaller, less developed ones.