How Does Acceleration Affect Motion in the XY Plane?

In summary, the particle moves in the xy plane with an x component of acceleration only. It travels a distance of 170 meters at 5 seconds.
mohdhm
1)
A particle starts form the origin at t=0 with an initial velocity having an x compoent and a y component. the particle moves in the xy plane with an x component of acceleration only

a)
Determine the components of velocity vector at any time and the total velocity vector at any time
Given Info: Vxi=20m/s, Vyi=-15m/s, Ax=4.0m/s^2, Ay=0.
Solved.
Answer: Vf=Vxi+Vyi = [(20+4.0t)(i hat symbol?) - 15(j hat symbol?)]m/s

b) calculate the velocity and speed of the particle at t=5?

Ok the tricky part... both velocity and speed have the same magnitude because with 2 dimensions you have to use the pythagorean theorm to add the magnitude of the x and y components. I also concluded that vector = speed but with theta(direction).

solved the problem for part B.

c) determine the x and y coordinate of the particle at any time t and the position vector of this time.

xf=vit=1/2at^2= (20t+2.0t^2)m
yf=vit=(-15t)m

so the position vector at any time t is [(20t+2.0t^2)i -15tj]m

Then the example question says.. let's test it out. and gives me some values

at t=5, x=150, y=-75

what is the magnitude of the displacement?

rf=sqrt[(150^2+(-75)^2]=170m

"note that this isnot the distance that the particle travels in this time! Can you determine the distance from the available data?

Now how do you determine the distance at t=5 ? do you just add the vector components of distance? If someone can please answer that last question, i could rest my mind :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
mohdhm said:
Now how do you determine the distance at t=5 ? do you just add the vector components of distance?
I assume you mean add the components of the displacement. No, that won't do. Hint: Find an expression for the speed of the particle as a function of time.

so you find the intergral of Vx and Vy and add them up?

d(t)=Velocity * integral of 0 to 5 where f(x) is dt ?

Find an expression for the speed of the particle and integrate that from t = 0 to 5 seconds. What's the speed as a function of time?

finding the integral of vf=vi+at gives me d= vit+1/2at^2 and we just solve from there... using the absolute value...
i integrated the vf=vi+at and got the expected d=vit+1/2at^2 which gives me DISPLACEMENT

What is the distance, what is the solution of this problem.

Last edited:

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the vector with a length proportional to its magnitude.

2. How is a vector different from a scalar?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and speed. Vectors, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction.

3. How do you represent a vector in a plane?

A vector in a plane is typically represented by two components, which are usually the horizontal (x-axis) and vertical (y-axis) components. These components can be represented as v = vx + vy.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. In other words, |v| = √(vx2 + vy2).

5. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, including its direction. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that describes how fast an object is moving, without considering its direction.