What is Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) ? for Diesel engine emission

In summary: S.In summary, the Diesel Emission Project has a problem evaluating the filtraion power of the Particulate Remover Unit. The project is looking for someone who can provide pictures of different HSU values so they can understand the visual scenario of different values (e.g. 25, 50, 100, 150).
Su Solberg
I am working of the Diesel Emission Project, however i have some problem in evaluating the filtraion power of the Particulate Remover Unit. The following is my question:

What is Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) ?

Could anyone can provide some picture of different level of HSU so that I can understand the visual scenario of different value (e.g. 25, 50, 100, 150)?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pictures won't give you a good idea of smoke opacity, which is what you're interested in. A value of 0 indicates perfect transmission, or zero opacity. A value of 100 indicates total absorption, or complete opacity. This is referenced (in the case of HSU) to a transmission length of 430mm, at 100°C and atmospheric pressure. Values in between are not linear with respect to actual light absorption.

brewnog said:
Pictures won't give you a good idea of smoke opacity, which is what you're interested in. A value of 0 indicates perfect transmission, or zero opacity. A value of 100 indicates total absorption, or complete opacity. This is referenced (in the case of HSU) to a transmission length of 430mm, at 100°C and atmospheric pressure. Values in between are not linear with respect to actual light absorption.

Thank you very much for your reply.
However, I would like to ask how to verify the meaning that the emission is clean or smoky in terms of HSU?
Could you provide some picture??

Thank you very much for your help.

Su Solberg said:
Thank you very much for your reply.
However, I would like to ask how to verify the meaning that the emission is clean or smoky in terms of HSU?
Could you provide some picture??

Thank you very much for your help.

0 is invisible, 100 is a thick, dense smoke. Then you have everything else in between. As I stated, pictures are pretty useless, since this isn't a subjective measure, and the same smoke level can look good/bad depending on light conditions, background colour, and dilution.

Pretty smoky:
2501927384_2dfe6277fe.jpg

Pretty clean:
caterham_x330_concept_04.jpg

Anyone who can tell me the corelation between Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) and FILTER SMOKE NUMBER(FSN) as I have the two systems giving one in HSU and the other in FSN.I would like to compare the result given by the two SYSTEM

1. What is a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU)?

A Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) is a device used to measure the level of smoke emissions from diesel engines. It is an essential tool in the automotive industry for monitoring and controlling the amount of pollutants emitted by diesel engines.

2. How does a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) work?

The HSU works by drawing a sample of exhaust gas from the diesel engine and passing it through a filter paper. The paper is then compared to a standard chart to determine the level of smoke emissions. The HSU can also be connected to a computer to provide more accurate and detailed readings.

3. What are the benefits of using a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU)?

The HSU provides a quick and reliable method for measuring smoke emissions, allowing for early detection of potential engine problems. It also helps in ensuring compliance with emission regulations and can save time and money by preventing costly engine repairs.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU)?

While the HSU is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It can only measure smoke emissions and not other pollutants such as carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxides. It also requires regular calibration to maintain accuracy.

5. Is a Hartridge Smoke Unit (HSU) necessary for diesel engines?

In many countries, the use of a HSU is mandatory for diesel engines to ensure compliance with emission standards. Even where it is not required by law, it is still highly recommended as a tool for monitoring engine performance and reducing pollution.