Finding the Polar Form of a Complex Number Using Euler's Relation

In summary: Glad I could help. Remember, always try to see if there's a simpler way to do things. Good luck with the rest of your problem!In summary, using Euler's relation, any complex number z=x+yi can be written in the form z= re^{i\theta} where r and \theta are real. The value of r represents the distance from the origin to the complex number on the complex plane, while \theta represents the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number. To find r and \theta for a specific complex number, use the equations x=r\ Cos( \theta) and y=r\ Sin( \theta), and then solve for r using pythagoras
aaj92

Homework Statement

Using Euler's relation, prove that any complex number z=x+yi can be written in the form z= re[itex]^{i\theta}[/itex] where r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are real. Describe the significance of r and [itex]\theta[/itex] with reference to the complex plane.

b) Write z= 3+4i in the form z = re[itex]^{i\theta}[/itex]
(pretty sure I can get this one if I can get help on the proof.

Homework Equations

e[itex]^{i\theta}[/itex]= cos[itex]\theta[/itex]+isin[itex]\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to prove it, got what it wanted me to get but I feel like I did it wrong because I don't know how to go about doing part b. there's also a part c but I didn't feel the need to put it up here because if someone can just explain to me the proof for these equations I think I should be able to get parts b and c

Physics news on Phys.org
How do cartesian coordinates relate to polar coordinates?

x = rcos[itex]\theta[/itex]
y = rsin[itex]\theta[/itex]

...is that all you have to do?

so that makes sense, but I guess I was wrong about knowing how to do part b then... I don't know how to find r and [itex]\theta[/itex] given z = 3+4i

yes
So you have your two equations
[itex]x=r\ Cos( \theta)[/itex]
[itex]y=r\ Sin( \theta)[/itex]

How would you find r in terms of x and y?

r = [itex]\frac{x}{cos\theta}[/itex]

r = i[itex]\frac{y}{sin\theta}[/itex] ??

aaj92 said:
r = [itex]\frac{x}{cos\theta}[/itex]

r = i[itex]\frac{y}{sin\theta}[/itex]

??

nono, r in terms of x and y does not contain any mention of [itex]\theta[/itex]

Make use of the fact that [itex]Cos( \theta)^2 + Sin( \theta)^2 = 1[/itex].
You should end up with pythagoras' theorem.

To find [itex]\theta[/itex], you can make use of [itex]\frac{ Sin(\theta)}{Cos( \theta)} = Tan(\theta )[/itex]

ok well I'm lost :/

can't i just take the fact that x = rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y= rsin[itex]\theta[/itex] and plug that into z = x +iy? because that'll give the desired results right?

oh... then i still don't know how to get part b. k well I'll have to figure the whole Pythagorean theorem thing out then

aaj92 said:
ok well I'm lost :/

can't i just take the fact that x = rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y= rsin[itex]\theta[/itex] and plug that into z = x +iy? because that'll give the desired results right?

You can but that isn't going to help you find r and [itex]\theta[/itex]
I'll show you how to find r, then I'll let you try and find [itex]\theta[/itex]

1. I'm going to square both of our equations to get

[itex]x^2 = r^2 \ Cos(\theta )^2[/itex]
[itex]y^2 = r^2 \ Sin(\theta )^2[/itex]

2. Next I'm going to add these equations together

[itex]x^2 + y^2 = r^2 \ Cos(\theta )^2 + r^2 \ Sin(\theta )^2[/itex]

3. I'm going to pull out a common factor of [itex]r^2[/itex]

[itex]x^2 + y^2 = r^2 \ (Cos( \theta )^2 + Sin( \theta)^2 )[/itex]

4. I now use the fact that [itex]Cos( \theta )^2 + Sin( \theta )^2 = 1[/itex] to find

[itex]x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/itex]

5. Taking the square root of both sides

[itex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = r[/itex]

Which as I said before gives us pythagoras' theorem

So in b) you have z = 3 + 4i, we can now find the corresponding r, [itex]r = \sqrt{3^2 + 4^2} = \sqrt{25} = 5[/itex]

All that's left now is to find [itex]\theta[/itex]

oh my god! thank you! I didn't know you could just add them together sorry my brain is just refusing to work right now but yeah I see how you can get theta now. thank you so much :)

No problem buddy!

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit defined as √-1.

2. How do you prove the properties of complex numbers?

To prove the properties of complex numbers, you can use algebraic manipulations and mathematical reasoning. You can also use geometric interpretations and graphical representations to help with the proof.

3. What are some common properties of complex numbers?

Some common properties of complex numbers include commutative, associative, and distributive properties. Complex numbers also follow the laws of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

4. Can you provide an example of a complex number proof?

Sure, one example of a complex number proof is proving the commutative property of addition, which states that a + b = b + a for any complex numbers a and b. This can be proved by using algebraic manipulations and the definition of complex numbers.

5. Why are complex number proofs important?

Complex number proofs are important because they help us understand the properties and behavior of complex numbers, which are essential in various fields of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They also serve as a basis for more advanced mathematical concepts and applications.