Why Does Acceleration Down Make an Object Weigh Less?

In summary, When an object is accelerating downward, its weight appears to decrease because the force of tension in the string is less than the force of gravity pulling it down. This is because the acceleration is in the same direction as the gravitational force, resulting in a smaller net force on the object. This is similar to the feeling of weightlessness in an elevator or car accelerating downward, where the acceleration of the object counteracts the force of gravity. However, if the object is being measured on a scale, the weight would technically increase because the scale is now measuring the force exerted by the object on the scale, which includes the additional force from the acceleration.
member 392791
I don't understand conceptually how something accelerating down weighs less. For example, the elevator example of course if you have something with a string and a weight and the acceleration of the elevator increases upward as positive, you get

T - mg - ma = 0

and for acceleration down, you get

T - mg + ma = 0

This to me doesn't make sense, because shouldn't the equations be switched around because ma is + going up and - going down??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
I don't understand conceptually how something accelerating up weighs less.
Something accelerating up weighs more, not less.

If you are measuring acceleration as postive upwards, then "g" has a negative value.

Once you see that, the equations are correct. For eaxmple if the object is in free fall, a = g = -9.8 m/s^2 and T = 0.

AlephZero said:
Something accelerating up weighs more, not less.

If you are measuring acceleration as postive upwards, then "g" has a negative value.

Once you see that, the equations are correct. For eaxmple if the object is in free fall, a = g = -9.8 m/s^2 and T = 0.
woops I meant down. The example I think of is how you weigh less when driving down a large hill and your groin gets that funny feeling. How does this work if the gravity and acceleration are going in the same direction, shouldn't they two accelerations add, and then when you multiply by the mass the weight would be bigger??

In the groin/car example, the car is accelerating down away from you and your groin (sure I could switch back to the elevator example, but I like this one better). If the car were stationary, gravity would be accelerating you down, and the car would just sit there. You would feel the equal and opposite force from the seat. When the car accelerates away from you, you feel a slightly lower reaction force.

With that, I am thinking that if you accelerate its kind of like your back is more strongly stuck to the seat, so it would feel like you would weigh more? I'm still not quite seeing it

You are correct... if the weight is being measured on your back, but it probably wasn't being measured there. The car may be a little harder to imagine because it is 2D rather than 1D like the elevator.
How does this work if the gravity and acceleration are going in the same direction, shouldn't (the) two accelerations add, and then when you multiply by the mass, the weight would be bigger??

Lets imagine this in an elevator... no numbers.
The elevator is stationary. Gravity pulls on both you and the elevator, but the elevator is held stationary by cables or some sort of magic. The elevator exerts a force upward on you that is equal and opposite the force that you exert on the elevator due to gravity pulling you down. So the weight that would be measured is the force between you and the elevator from gravity pulling you down and the elevator pushing you up.

If the elevator accelerates down, gravity stays the same (unless it is a really big elevator). The force up from the elevator will be less since it is now accelerating away from you. The acceleration of the elevator adds changes from 0 to some amount downward. The upward force on you exerted by the elevator will be less since it is now accelerating away from you. The force upward will be

The force that would be exerted to counter gravity, minus the acceleration of the elevator.

(yes I'm mixing acceleration and force, so this is not a precise mathematical expression)

Does that make more sense? If the elevator were to accelerate enough, you would hit the ceiling and if you move the scale from the floor to the ceiling, your weight would increase if the elevator accelerates more. Since weight is a measure of force, you could treat it as a vector quantity... but I think it is probably defined as the force downward.

1. Why does an object weigh less when experiencing acceleration downwards?

When an object is experiencing acceleration downwards, it is often in free-fall or is being pulled by a force such as gravity. In this situation, the object's weight appears to decrease because the object is accelerating towards the ground at the same rate as gravity, creating a sensation of weightlessness. However, the object's mass remains the same, and its weight will return to its normal value once the acceleration has stopped.

2. How does acceleration downwards affect an object's weight on Earth?

On Earth, gravity is the main force that causes objects to accelerate downwards. When an object is in free-fall or being pulled by gravity, the force of gravity is acting on the object and causing it to accelerate downwards. This acceleration downwards results in a decrease in the object's weight, but its mass remains the same.

3. Does the downward acceleration of an object affect its mass?

No, the downward acceleration of an object does not affect its mass. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and remains the same regardless of its acceleration. However, the sensation of weight is a result of the acceleration of an object, causing it to feel lighter or heavier depending on the direction of the acceleration.

4. Can an object weigh less than its mass due to acceleration downwards?

Yes, an object can weigh less than its mass due to acceleration downwards. This is because weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is the amount of matter in an object. If an object is experiencing downward acceleration, its weight will decrease, but its mass remains the same.

5. How does the direction of acceleration affect an object's weight?

The direction of acceleration can affect an object's weight by either decreasing or increasing it. When an object is accelerating downwards, its weight decreases, but if it is accelerating upwards, its weight will increase. This is because the direction of acceleration is opposite to the direction of the gravitational force acting on the object, resulting in a change in the object's perceived weight.