Trig Identity for Arctan(a/b) with Rational Values?

• Thread starter iceblits
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of writing arctan(a/b) in the form of arctan(a*m) + arctan(b*n). The speaker is looking for a trig identity to use as part of a proof for their project and is hoping for a neat answer. However, the other person points out that arctan is defined for all real numbers and therefore arctan(a/b) exists regardless of the constraint in the speaker's project. The speaker clarifies that they want arctan(a/b) to exist within the constraints of their project, but it is not clear if this is possible.
iceblits
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a trig identity for arct(a/b) where a and b are rationals.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply. Although I can't find arctan(a/b), this is still very helpful for what I'm doing.

iceblits said:
Thanks for the reply. Although I can't find arctan(a/b), this is still very helpful for what I'm doing.

Hi, perhaps you can tell us what you're doing. That would provide a context to work in.

In general, what's an arctan? If you have a line through the origin in the x-y plane, say it goes through some nonzero point (b,a). Then its slope is a/b, to be consistent with your notation.

The slope of the line is the tangent of the angle the line makes with the positive x-axis taken counter-clockwise. So the arctan of a/b is just the angle made by a line that passes through the origin and the point (b,a).

I don't know whether that's helpful or not, since I don't understand what you're trying to do. But it's one way to think about the arctan function, especially if you're already given the argument as a quotient (of two rationals or two reals, doesn't matter).

Another way to think about the arctan is to convert a complex number from rectangular to polar form. Given z = b + ai, to convert to polar form you end up taking the arctan of a/b (again reversing the usual use of a and b to conform with your notation).

And still a third way to think of the arctan is that it provides a handy gadget any time you need to continuously biject the entire real line onto a bounded open interval.

Perhaps one or more of these points of view will provide you with some insight into your problem.

Last edited:
I wanted to show that arctan(a/b) may be written in the form arctan(a*m)+arctan(b*n) (or something like that) as part of a proof I am writing for a project. The entire explanation is long winded and it would take some time to explain but basically if I know that (in my project) all arctan(a) and arctan(b) and any linear combination of those exist but I have yet to show if all arctan(a/b) exist or not which is why I was hoping for a trig identity that would neatly answer the question

iceblits said:
I wanted to show that arctan(a/b) may be written in the form arctan(a*m)+arctan(b*n) (or something like that) as part of a proof I am writing for a project. The entire explanation is long winded and it would take some time to explain but basically if I know that (in my project) all arctan(a) and arctan(b) and any linear combination of those exist but I have yet to show if all arctan(a/b) exist or not which is why I was hoping for a trig identity that would neatly answer the question

Well, arctan is defined for all real numbers. So no matter what a and b are, arctan(a/b) exists. Am I misunderstanding?

But i want it to exist in the constraint of my problem. In my problem, all arctan(a) and arctan(b) exist but I don't know if all arctan(a/b) exist in my problem. For example, I know that arctan(I) where I is an irrational number does not exist in my problem

SteveL27 said:
Well, arctan is defined for all real numbers. So no matter what a and b are, arctan(a/b) exists. Am I misunderstanding?
(aside: a/b isn't defined for all real numbers...)

oo thanks Guffel!

1. What is the formula for arctan(a/b)?

The formula for arctan(a/b) is arctan(a/b) = tan-1(a/b), where a and b are real numbers and b ≠ 0.

2. How do I solve for arctan(a/b) in a given equation?

To solve for arctan(a/b) in an equation, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan-1). Plug in the values for a and b and use a calculator to find the arctan(a/b) value.

3. Can I simplify arctan(a/b) further?

Arctan(a/b) cannot be simplified further, as it is already in its simplest form.

4. What is the range of arctan(a/b)?

The range of arctan(a/b) is all real numbers between -π/2 and π/2. In other words, the output of arctan(a/b) will always be between -90° and 90°.

5. How is arctan(a/b) related to other trigonometric functions?

Arctan(a/b) is the inverse function of the tangent function, tan(a/b). In other words, arctan(a/b) "undoes" the effect of the tangent function. Additionally, arctan(a/b) can be written in terms of other trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine: arctan(a/b) = sin-1(a/b) = cos-1(√(1-(a/b)2)).