Transforming a Rubber Band into a Trefoil Knot

In summary, The conversation was about an article from Scientific American that discusses the transformation of a rubberband into a trefoil knot. While math in the world of zero thickness says it's impossible, the real world proves otherwise. The group also shared their opinions on the video demonstrating this transformation, with some finding it impressive even with the use of a knife, and others noting the importance of choosing mathematical models carefully.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very cool video!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive :tongue2: Still cool though.

micromass said:
Very cool video!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive :tongue2: Still cool though.

True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.

jedishrfu said:
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.

That's not strictly true. The math allows for a torus to be made into a trefoil knot, which is what he did. It's a lesson in choosing mathematical models carefully. Still, it was a very cool video; I think I'll make one for myself.

This article highlights the fascinating intersection between mathematics and the real world. While the mathematical concept of a trefoil knot cannot be physically created with a zero thickness rubber band, the article shows how the properties of the material and the forces acting on it allow for the formation of a trefoil knot in the real world.

This phenomenon is a great example of how science and mathematics can work together to explain and understand the world around us. The mathematical model provides a theoretical framework, while the physical properties of the rubber band and the forces acting on it allow for the practical application of this concept.

Additionally, this article also highlights the importance of considering real-world factors when studying mathematical concepts. While the ideal mathematical model may say that something is impossible, the real world often presents unique and unexpected solutions.

Overall, this article serves as a reminder of the beauty and complexity of the natural world, and how science and mathematics can work together to unravel its mysteries. It also showcases the importance of constantly questioning and challenging our understanding of the world, as new discoveries and perspectives can often lead to groundbreaking advancements in science and technology.

1. What materials are needed to transform a rubber band into a trefoil knot?

To transform a rubber band into a trefoil knot, you will need a rubber band and your fingers. No other materials are necessary.

2. Is it difficult to transform a rubber band into a trefoil knot?

It may take some practice and dexterity, but with proper technique, it is not a difficult task to transform a rubber band into a trefoil knot.

3. What is the purpose of transforming a rubber band into a trefoil knot?

Transforming a rubber band into a trefoil knot is a fun and simple science experiment that can demonstrate the concept of topology and how a simple object can be transformed into a more complex shape.

4. Can a rubber band be transformed into other types of knots besides a trefoil knot?

Yes, a rubber band can be transformed into different types of knots such as a figure-eight knot, a granny knot, or a square knot. The technique may vary, but the concept remains the same.

5. Is there any practical use for transforming a rubber band into a trefoil knot?

While it may not have a practical use, transforming a rubber band into a trefoil knot can be a fun and educational activity for children and adults alike. It can also serve as a visual representation of mathematical concepts in topology and knot theory.