Higher Specific Heat Capacity: Explained

In summary, higher specific heat capacity means objects take up less heat when heated, and the thermal energy flows to objects with more kinetic energy.
Yh Hoo
Now consider two objects,A and B. A has a higher specific heat capacity that B. When both object is subjected to same amount of thermal or heat energy, rise in temperature in A is lower as our common reason(A has a higher specific heat capacity)

But what stated by First law of thermodynamics that Increase in internal energy is caused by heat energy transfer to in and work done on it. since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy of particles in a system, it means perticles in A has a greater amount of kinetic energy than B. Meanwhile , energy should be conserved, so it means portion
heat energy flow to A and is stored as kinetic energy of particles is lower than B.
NOW, WHERE DOES THE REST PORTION OF THE THERMAL ENERGY FLOW TO A converted to? the electrical potential energy(another component of internal energy) of the particles in A ?
if so that means object with high specific heat capacity has a lower tendency to store the thermal energy received in the form kinetic energy of particles?

can somebody explain this to me? or correct me if i am wrong. Thanks a lot.

Science news on Phys.org
Yh Hoo said:
Now consider two objects,A and B. A has a higher specific heat capacity that B. When both object is subjected to same amount of thermal or heat energy, rise in temperature in A is lower as our common reason(A has a higher specific heat capacity)

But what stated by First law of thermodynamics that Increase in internal energy is caused by heat energy transfer to in and work done on it. since temperature is a measure of average kinetic energy of particles in a system,
Temperature is the measure of only one kind of kinetic energy: translational kinetic energy (energy due to the motion of the centre of mass of the molecules). Rotational and vibrational kinetic energies do not directly affect temperature.

it means particles in A has a greater amount of kinetic energy than B. Meanwhile , energy should be conserved, so it means portion
heat energy flow to A and is stored as kinetic energy of particles is lower than B.
NOW, WHERE DOES THE REST PORTION OF THE THERMAL ENERGY FLOW TO A converted to? the electrical potential energy(another component of internal energy) of the particles in A ?
if so that means object with high specific heat capacity has a lower tendency to store the thermal energy received in the form kinetic energy of particles?

can somebody explain this to me? or correct me if i am wrong. Thanks a lot.
Your question is a good one. There are two aspects to this. Higher heat capacity could be due to stronger forces between molecules (so some energy is stored as potential energy). It could also be due to additional degrees of freedom of the molecules (some energy stored as vibrational or rotational energy of molecules).

AM

Likes Gvozden
wow thanks a lot! it is sufficient for me already as a pre u student.

What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius (or 1 kelvin) per unit mass. It is often denoted by the symbol "C" and has the unit J/kg·K (joules per kilogram per Kelvin).

What is the significance of higher specific heat capacity?

A substance with a higher specific heat capacity can store more heat energy without experiencing a significant change in temperature. This is especially useful in regulating temperature changes in the environment and maintaining a stable internal temperature in living organisms.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity can be measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the amount of heat energy absorbed or released by a substance. The specific heat capacity can then be calculated using the formula: C = Q/mΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance can be affected by its molecular structure, mass, and temperature. Substances with more complex molecular structures tend to have higher specific heat capacities. Additionally, substances with higher mass will require more energy to raise their temperature, resulting in a higher specific heat capacity. Finally, the temperature of a substance also plays a role, as specific heat capacity can vary at different temperatures.

Can specific heat capacity be changed?

No, specific heat capacity is an intrinsic property of a substance and cannot be changed. However, the specific heat capacity of a substance can vary slightly depending on the conditions, such as temperature and pressure.