Have you tried the Cloud Chamber Experiment?

In summary, the conversation discusses conducting an experiment and asks questions about the best methods to use. Specifically, they inquire about whether pure isopropyl or pure ethyl alcohol is better, how to conduct the experiment multiple times, the best way to photograph the trails, and how to recognize which particles are forming each trail. They also note that this is a new experiment for them and appreciate any help or advice.
connorp
Has anyone here ever done this experiment? A buddy of mine and I were thinking of setting this up but we had a few questions first.

Is it better to use pure isopropyl or pure ethyl alcohol? I have read both from different sources.
To conduct this more than once, do you just have to replace the dry ice and alcohol?
What is the best way to photograph the trails?
How do you recognize which particles are forming each trail?

Hope I posted this in the right section. If not, feel free to move it. Thanks for all the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one's ever done this before?

What is a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

A Cloud Chamber Experiment is a scientific method used to visualize and study the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons and alpha particles.

How does a Cloud Chamber Experiment work?

In a Cloud Chamber Experiment, a supersaturated vapor is created by mixing alcohol and water. When a charged particle passes through this vapor, it leaves behind a trail of condensation, making the path of the particle visible.

What are the main uses of a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

A Cloud Chamber Experiment is used to study and track the behavior of subatomic particles, detect and identify different types of particles, and to demonstrate the principles of radioactive decay.

What are some limitations of a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

One limitation of a Cloud Chamber Experiment is that it can only detect charged particles, so neutral particles like neutrons cannot be observed. Additionally, the results of the experiment can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

What are some famous discoveries made using a Cloud Chamber Experiment?

The Cloud Chamber Experiment has played a crucial role in many significant discoveries in the field of particle physics, including the discovery of the positron, the first evidence of the existence of antimatter, and the discovery of the J/psi particle, leading to the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1976.