Calculating the effectiveness of a Radiator and Fan Combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison of different combinations of radiators and fans for cooling liquids. The process involves calculating the area of the radiator and the airflow over it, as well as determining the amount of heat the metal can transfer to air. One approach is to establish the flow rate of air through the radiator and calculate the pressure drop using a friction factor correlation. The intersection between the pressure drop curve and the fan curve will determine the operating point. Alternatively, the Nusselt number can be calculated to determine the heat transfer coefficient.
GiraffePencils
Hello,

I am trying to compare different combinations of Radiators and fans on their ability to cool water(or any liquid for that matter)
Now I've been showen some Bernoulli's equation things and been pointed at Reynolds number but To be honest I haven't looked at any physics outside rigid body interaction since university and I'm getting lost.

Now what I'm looking at is I have A radiators made of copper or brass, with different 'fins per inch' and different depth but a constant width and height.
I also have fans whose performance is measured in Airflow (Cubic feet per minute) and Air Pressure (mmH2O)
I Assume the process would be to:

Calculate the area of the radiator (m2)

Calculate actual airflow over it.( the CFM passing over the metal, something involving the fins per inch impeding the air and the pressure of the fan?)

The amount of heat the metal can transfer to air which is traveling at that rate.

But Alas I am at a loss in how best to go about this, Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Analysing this from first principles is a very difficult task, especially if you had no prior acquaintance with fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. However, I am pretty sure this is a common problem in the HVAC industry and chemical engineering. I would search for established rules and conventions in building heating/cooling systems or heat exchangers.

There are a couple of different approaches this. I'll explain one possible method.
Firstly, I would say that it is essential to establish the flow rate of air through the radiator. You said that you have the pressure-flow characteristics of your fan. However, you don't know the operating point on the fan curve. You need to determine the resistance curve (pressure-drop curve) of the radiator. You could do this experimentally but I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have to do this? It would probably be better to find some friction factor correlation in literature and calculate the pressure drop from this. This friction factor is a strong function of the geometry so be carefull when selecting an appropriate correlation. This will enable you to calculate the pressure drop for a range of arbitrary flow rates. This curve can then be plotted against the fan curve and the intersection between them is your operating point!

At this stage you can calculate your heat transfer. One possible way is by using the equation
[itex]\dot{Q}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{m}[/itex]Cp(Tfluid - Tair)
where mdot is the mass flow of air established from your operating point.

An alternative approach would be to calulate the Nusselt number, which will give you the heat transfer coefficient and you could then use the equation Q=hAdeltaT. But this is probably more complicated.

1. How is the effectiveness of a radiator and fan combination calculated?

The effectiveness of a radiator and fan combination is typically calculated by dividing the amount of heat removed from the system by the amount of energy consumed by the fan. This can be expressed as a percentage to determine the efficiency of the system.

2. What factors affect the effectiveness of a radiator and fan combination?

The effectiveness of a radiator and fan combination can be influenced by a variety of factors such as the size and design of the radiator, the speed and power of the fan, the ambient temperature, and the airflow in the surrounding environment.

3. How can I improve the effectiveness of my radiator and fan combination?

To improve the effectiveness of a radiator and fan combination, you can consider upgrading to a more efficient fan, adjusting the placement and orientation of the radiator, or increasing the airflow in the surrounding environment. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the system can also help improve its performance.

4. What is a good measure of effectiveness for a radiator and fan combination?

A good measure of effectiveness for a radiator and fan combination is the heat dissipation rate, which is the amount of heat that is removed from the system per unit of time. This can be compared to the energy consumed by the fan to determine the efficiency of the system.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a radiator and fan combination?

While a radiator and fan combination can be an effective way to cool a system, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. These may include noise from the fan, increased energy consumption, and potential maintenance or replacement costs. It is important to carefully consider these factors when choosing a cooling system for your specific needs.