How Do I Solve a Translational Equilibrium Problem in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, Rob was struggling with a Mech module in his aerospace engineering degree at the start of the year, but he was able to get help from his professors and found a way to complete the assignment questions before they were due. He is grateful for the help and advises others to seek help when needed.
rc flyer uk
I started my aerospace enginnering degree this year but have missed the first 7 weeks of lectures due to being in hospital, i was sent all lecture notes but am strugling with my mech module. I have my first assignment questions due in this week and am having dificulty thought you guys might be able to give me some guidance! Thanks

Question?

Two cables AC and BC are tied together and loaded at C as shown. The maximum allowable tension in each cable is 800N.

Find the magnitude of the largest force P Which could be applied at C.

Also find the corresponding value of the angle α

I have attached a word document of the diagram!

My workings so far have been something like this:

I have drawn a free body diagram to help make things more simple!

I have resolved the forces and renamed bc to T1 and ac T2

Apply the equilibrium conditions-

ΣFx=0= T1cos50- T2cos35 (+Pα) unsure if (+Pcosα) is nessacery as i have never completed an angular question like this!

ΣFy=0= T1sin50 + T2sin35 - Psinα

Next i am gusing as i am teaching myself from a book! i use these to equations as simultaneous equations and solve them. I was wondering if i should use the value of 800N for T1 and T2 as this is there max allowable tension but i am not sure!

Please can some one point me in the right direction, thanks a lot your help is much apreciated.

Rob

Attachments

• Diagram 1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what "Attachment Pending Approval" means, but I'm not able to open your attachment. Hopefully it will get approved before your HW is due...

You are on the right track. You will have two equations and two unknowns, P and [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Here is a hint: When you have your two equations, you will be able to rearrange the terms to get [tex]tan \alpha =[/tex]...

Make sure you are consistent with which is the +x and +y directions in your equations. It looks like you have set up to the right being +x and up as being +y. If you stick with that through the whole problem you'll be fine.

Just adding to what Fred mentioned

ΣFx = 0 = T1 cos50 - T2 cos35+Pcos α by the convention that forces to the right are + and forces to the left are - (convention in Cartesian coordinates).

ΣFy = 0 = T1sin50 + T2sin35 - Psinα is correct.

Thanks a lot guys managed to complete the question and got it handed in on time!
Much apreciated!

Rob

What is translational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium is a state in which an object is not accelerating and its net force is equal to zero. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How is translational equilibrium different from rotational equilibrium?

Translational equilibrium deals with the movement of an object as a whole, while rotational equilibrium involves the balance of forces around a pivot point. In translational equilibrium, the object's center of mass remains stationary, while in rotational equilibrium, the object's center of mass may move but the object remains in a fixed orientation.

What factors affect translational equilibrium?

The main factors that affect translational equilibrium are the forces acting on the object and the object's mass. If the forces acting on the object are balanced, then it will be in translational equilibrium. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the object can also affect its translational equilibrium.

How is translational equilibrium used in real-world applications?

Translational equilibrium is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures and machines. It is also used in analyzing the motion of objects in space, as well as understanding the stability of structures and vehicles.

What are the consequences of not achieving translational equilibrium?

If an object is not in translational equilibrium, it will either accelerate or decelerate, depending on the direction of the unbalanced force. This can lead to unpredictable motion and potential damage to the object or surrounding environment. In some cases, not achieving translational equilibrium can also result in instability or failure of a structure or machine.