Find the Best Wireless Router for Your Home: No More Disconnects!

In summary: For a router, there are a few things you can do to increase range. You can get a PCI adapter, a wireless networking card, or a better aerial. The best option is a PCI adapter, as it will allow you to boost the range of your router without having to install anything. Cards and aerials can be bought cheap, but they will not provide the same boost as a PCI adapter.
habman_6
What is a really good wireless router out now? I am hooking up my computer in my room with wireless and I really really don't want to have to put up with disconnecting every 5 minutes, weak signal,etc.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I recommend against a Linksys router, i had one in the past and it didn't perform (i've also come across many people having trouble with a linksys). Currently i have a Netgear router and i haven't had a problem with overheating or interference (2 other wireless networks in the building, +2 cell phones, +1 wireless phone). It was also suprisingly cheap.
No complaints so far.

That looks good - I have a Netgear Rangemax and it did well for me in my last apartment, which had concrete walls that confounded other routers.

Before it died, I was using a Linksys, hacked to increase the wattage (I installed a cooling fan), and two directional antennas to aim the signal toward a concrete hallway.

Netgear is good and they can be bought cheap. I have a d-link now and it is wonderful...it was fairly expensive though. Linksys and Belkin wireless routers always seem to have problems from what I have heard (or give weak signals).

Well getting a new router is up to you...but the new ones have far better range. Yes, you can get an adaptor like that, or you can get a wireless networking card. If you do get a card, then make sure it will work with your pc and you will have to install it.

Last edited:
Does either one have any advantage over the other?

habman_6 said:
Does either one have any advantage over the other?

Well, the card would be in your computer and not stuck in one of your usb ports.

Cisco Aironet is the best in the buisness, but u will have to pay over 400$ to own one.

I haven't had any problems with Netgear or Linksys (cisco's little brother).

If you want to boost the range of a downmarket WIFI access point, get a better aerial

1. What are the key features to consider when choosing a wireless router for my home?

Some key features to consider when choosing a wireless router for your home include range, speed, security, compatibility with your devices, and ease of use. It's important to determine your specific needs and budget in order to find the best option for your home.

2. How can I improve my wireless connection and reduce disconnects?

To improve your wireless connection and reduce disconnects, you can try moving your router to a central location in your home, minimizing interference from other electronic devices, and updating your router's firmware. You may also want to consider upgrading to a newer, more powerful router.

3. Should I choose a single-band or dual-band router?

This depends on your specific needs. A single-band router operates on the 2.4GHz frequency and is sufficient for basic internet tasks. A dual-band router operates on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies, providing faster speeds and less interference. If you have multiple devices and use your internet for streaming or gaming, a dual-band router may be a better option.

4. Which security features should I look for in a wireless router?

When choosing a wireless router, look for features such as WPA2 encryption and guest network access to ensure your network is secure. You may also want to consider a router with parental controls and the ability to set up a VPN for added security.

5. Are there any additional factors to consider when choosing a wireless router for a larger home?

If you have a larger home, you may want to consider a router with a longer range and more powerful antennas. Mesh routers, which use multiple access points to create a larger coverage area, may also be a good option for larger homes. Additionally, make sure to check the number of devices the router can support to ensure it can handle all of your devices without experiencing slowdowns or disconnects.