Algebra Help for Physics: Solving for Dtruck with Speed and Distance

In summary, the question is how to isolate Dtruck from the given equation. The process involves cross-multiplying two fractions and then subtracting one side from the other. This will result in the desired equation of Dtruck = xxxxxx.
jKotha
Hey guys, I'm having an algebra blank, can't figure this out for some reason, I know it simple. aHH!. Ok.. here's the question.

I'm trying to isolate d truck, ie, trying to solve for dtruck from the following.

Dtruck = Dtruck + 100m
75km/hr 88km/hr

I think you multiply 75km/hr to the right side, but there are 2 Dtrucks, and i forget how to manipulate that. Once again, I want only Dtruck on the left side.. so Dtruck = xxxxxx. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jKotha said:
Dtruck = Dtruck + 100m
75km/hr 88km/hr
I assume this is meant to be two fractions equal to each other? If so, just cross multipy:
[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \frac{C}{D}[/tex]
becomes:
[tex]A \times D = B \times C[/tex]

Once you do that, multiply everything out and isolate Dtruck.

thanks.. but still not totally getting it don't think. If i do that.. I get this right?

(dtruck)(88km/hr) = (dtruck + 110m)(75km/hr)

(dtruck)(88km/hr) = (dtruck)(75km/hr) + (110m)(75km/hr)

Now I'm stuck again.. i feel stupid. I know I should be able to islolate dtruck, but how.

Subtract (dtruck)(75km/hr) from each side.

but wouldn't that take away the dtruck that i want?

(dtruck)(88km/hr) - (dtruck)(75km/hr)

wouldn't that take away the dtruck?.. and just leave 10km/hr. That can't be right.

jKotha said:
but wouldn't that take away the dtruck that i want?
Nope. Consider this: aX - bX = (a - b)X

Doc, you are a genius. One of a kind. Thank you.. i really appreciate it. I should have already known that.

1. What is the importance of algebra in physics?

Algebra is essential in physics because it provides a way to express and solve complex mathematical equations, which are used to describe the laws and principles of physics. Without algebra, it would be nearly impossible to understand and analyze the physical world.

2. How can algebra be applied in physics problems?

Algebra can be applied in physics problems by converting physical quantities into mathematical symbols and using algebraic operations to manipulate these symbols. This allows us to solve for unknown variables, derive equations, and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are some common algebraic equations used in physics?

Some common algebraic equations used in physics include Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), the equation for work (W=F*d), and Ohm's law (V=IR). These equations involve variables such as force, mass, acceleration, distance, work, voltage, current, and resistance.

4. Can algebra help with understanding the concepts in physics?

Yes, algebra can help with understanding the concepts in physics. Algebraic equations allow us to quantitatively describe and analyze physical phenomena, leading to a deeper understanding of how the world works. By using algebra, we can also make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts and develop new theories and laws.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills for physics?

To improve your algebra skills for physics, practice solving a variety of algebraic equations, including those commonly used in physics. It may also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor. Additionally, try to apply algebra in real-world situations to reinforce your understanding of its applications in physics.