What is the acceleration of the 5kg block in the pulley and masses problem?

• Thread starter konichiwa2x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the problem involves a 10kg block and a 5kg block with a coefficient of friction of 0.4 between them. The 10kg block is placed on a frictionless surface and the system is released from rest. The question is to find the distance moved by the block C when block A descends 2m. The first step is to consider the forces acting within the system and find the tension in the string. There is confusion on whether the 10kg block will move with B or slip, so two scenarios are considered and checked for consistency.
konichiwa2x
Hi this problem stumps me.

In the figure shown, co-efficient of friction between the block of 10kg and 5kg is 0.4 . There is no friction between the 10kg block and the surface on which it is placed. The system of block is released from rest in the shown situation. Find the distance moved y the block C when block A descends through a distance of 2m.

Please help.I have drawn the FBDs of the blocks. I am sure it is right but I am confused on whether the block of 10kg will move with B or whether they will slip.http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/476/qjn9.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by considering the forces acting within the system. Find the tension in the string.

konichiwa2x said:
Please help.I have drawn the FBDs of the blocks. I am sure it is right but I am confused on whether the block of 10kg will move with B or whether they will slip.
Assume either that it does slip, or it doesn't slip, and do the problem. Then check for consistency. If it slips, the 10kg block will have an acceleration you can easily calculate. Is that consistent with the acceleration you find for the 5kg block? If it doesn't slip, the 10kg block has the same acceleration as the 5kg block. Is there enough force available to make that happen?

1. What is a pulley and masses problem?

A pulley and masses problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion and forces of a system consisting of one or more masses connected by a string or cable over one or more pulleys.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving a pulley and masses problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a pulley and masses problem include understanding the principles of tension, acceleration, and the conservation of energy. It is also important to know how to draw free body diagrams and apply Newton's laws of motion.

3. How do you set up a pulley and masses problem?

To set up a pulley and masses problem, start by drawing a diagram of the system, labeling all the masses, pulleys, and strings. Then, identify the forces acting on each mass and draw free body diagrams for each mass. Finally, write down the equations of motion and solve for the unknown variables.

4. What types of problems can be solved using the pulley and masses concept?

The pulley and masses concept can be applied to a variety of problems, including problems involving inclined planes, objects being pulled or lifted by ropes or cables, and systems with multiple masses and pulleys.

5. How does the number of pulleys affect the solution to a pulley and masses problem?

The number of pulleys affects the solution to a pulley and masses problem by changing the number of strings or cables involved and the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the masses. More pulleys may also increase the complexity of the problem and require additional equations to be solved.