Extra Dimensions in String Theory

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of "higher spatial dimensions" in string theory and whether they are just mathematical abstractions or have a physical existence. Some physicists believe that these dimensions could be measured in a simple way, while others argue that they are just a result of mathematical symmetries in the theory. The idea of using category theory to understand these dimensions is also mentioned. Ultimately, the question remains as to whether these dimensions are real or just a theoretical construct.
EL said:
Another thing to note is that the basic structure of string theory itself does not say those 7 extra spatial dimensions need to be compactified (at least that's the impression I've got), but are treated mathematically on equal footing as our ordinary 3. However, due to the fact we havn't observed any extra dimensions, we make the conclusion they need to be compactified.

Right. As it happens:

(bosonic) string theory lives in 26 dimensions, meaning 25+1. Thus 22 extra dimensions.
Superstring theory lives in 10 dimensions, thus 6 extra dimensions.
The minimal Kaluza Klein extension for the Standard Model lives in 11 dimensions.
Supergravity has been argued to live in 11 dimensions.
M-theory is said to live in 11 dimensions. Thers is also a "F teory" living not in 10+1 but in 10+2, ie 7 extra spatial and 1 extra temporal-like dimension. It sounds fringe, but it is mainstream, or at least a mainstream subsidiary.

Your "7 extra" comes from the three last ones.

Note that besides Kaluza Klein there are some other arguments to get rid of the extra dimensions. The come by names as "Free Fermion Formulation" or "non geometric compactifications". Sci.physics.strings is an appropiate place to ask about it (but strongly moderated).

Physics news on Phys.org
I did try to get us away from discussing "real" extra dimensions by giving an operational definition of a "spatial dimension" as "a measurement both necessary and sufficient to locate any point within an unbounded volume".

Kea has described the extra spatial dimensions as (integer) categorical dimensions, as understood within Category Theory, a subset of set theory.

El has described the extra spatial dimensions as having a metric of -1.

Arivero described the extra dimensions in terms of symmetry groups and generators of translations with the same scalar products as spatial dimensions.

None of these fit my operational definition. Nobody has tried to tell me that the extra spatial dimensions actually describe a volume that is hidden from us and unmeasureable with 3 spatial dimensions.

And this is essentially what I wanted to know.

The nice thing about being a layman is I can afford to be an iconoclast. I can say, "the emperor has no clothes", and I will not fail any courses, lose tenure or lose my job. :smile:

In that light - I've repeatedly seen the use of the word "naive" here to describe my conception of dimensions. I don't want anyone to think this offends me - I get the impression it's a standard usage amongst modern physicists, and isn't meant as a critique of me.

But I must say that what really seems naive to me is to assume that every internally consistent mathematical model must be describing something that has a physical reality.

Extra spatial dimensions will always remain unmeasureable. We will never be able to point a ruler at them.

I brought up the notion of hidden variables and where they are hidden. When I envision a quantized subatomic world, where energies and masses do not fill up the entire unbroken continuum of available values - I think, why not look for your hidden variables in the gaps between the quanta? Instead of imaginary spaces, why not look for the real, measurable energies and masses that we can't observe directly but may be able to observe indirectly, through their interactions? Why not conceive of higher dimensions in terms of energies, frequencies, wavelengths?

If the goal of quantum theories is to explain the fundamental quantum mysteries of quantization, randomness, wave-particle duality and entanglement, it seems the theories must have to function here - where we are - where the wave and particle interactions happen - not in some invisible "somewhere else".

Maybe a day will come when the mathematical formalism of higher spatial dimensions will get translated into terms other than spaces - into something measureable. But that's not a goal that's likely to happen until physicists see a good reason to do it.

That's how it looks to this layman. You all know more on these topics than I do, and I'm grateful that you shared your knowledge with me. I hope I've been able to repay the favor, in some small way, by giving you something to think about. Thanks again.

Lelan Thara said:
Nobody has tried to tell me that the extra spatial dimensions actually describe a volume that is hidden from us and unmeasureable with 3 spatial dimensions.

Well, but also a vertical heigth is hidden an unmeasurable with two horizontal spatial dimensions.

What you could be asking is, can I rotate my ruler from the horizontal into the vertical to measure this height, or can I not? You can, and in this sense the extra spatial dimensions are not more hidden than a vertical dimension is.

arivero said:
Well, but also a vertical heigth is hidden an unmeasurable with two horizontal spatial dimensions.

What you could be asking is, can I rotate my ruler from the horizontal into the vertical to measure this height, or can I not? You can, and in this sense the extra spatial dimensions are not more hidden than a vertical dimension is.

If I rotate my ruler from the horizontal to the vertical, I can locate points in a volume that I could not locate before. So the rotaion is necessary.

In an everyday volume, though, I can keep rotaing my ruler and I can no longer locate any new points that I couldn't locate before. So the three rotations are sufficient.

So what I'd have to ask you, arivero, is: do you believe the extra spatial dimensions do, in fact, describe volumes that are hidden from us and unmeasureable in 3 dimensions?

Lelan Thara said:
Nobody has tried to tell me that the extra spatial dimensions actually describe a volume that is hidden from us and unmeasureable with 3 spatial dimensions.
My point is that this may indeed be the case! The extra dimensions may be as real as our ordinary 3, although compactified.

Extra spatial dimensions will always remain unmeasureable. We will never be able to point a ruler at them.
No no. We'll try to measure them at LHC.

Why not conceive of higher dimensions in terms of energies, frequencies, wavelengths?
This sounds more like new age stuff :tongue2: (no offense).
Remember that all extra dimensions in string theory are spatial.
To start with, all (including the ordinary 3) dimensions are on the same footing. It's just that all but 3 need to be compactified.

Maybe a day will come when the mathematical formalism of higher spatial dimensions will get translated into terms other than spaces - into something measureable.
Until then, I suggest we call them real.:wink:

Last edited:
Lelan Thara said:
So what I'd have to ask you, arivero, is: do you believe the extra spatial dimensions do, in fact, describe volumes that are hidden from us and unmeasureable in 3 dimensions?

One needs to read very carefully the wording of your question before answering. I think nobody in the thread *including you* has read it. Think again about my ruler example.

I believe that the extra spatial dimensions describe n-dimensional volumes that are hidden from us and unmeasureable in 3 dimensions in EXACTLY the same sense than height describes n-dimensional volumes hidden from and unmeasureable in 2 horizontal dimensions.

In fact I do not need to believe it. I can read it from the equations. There is the rotation group in 10 spatial dimensions, which any mathematician can recognise. Actually there is the full Poincare group in 10+1 dimensions. Of course the 2 dimensional rotation group does not generate the three dimensional rotation group, neither the 3 dimensional generates the 10 dimensional.

Of course (and here again one must be carefully about the wording) you are not asking me if I believe in string theory. You are asking me if I believe that the equations of string theory (actually, of the Kaluza Klein approach to string theory). And to this question I answer yes, and that I do not need to believe, only to read the equations.

You could ask me if I think that the Kaluza Klein approach to string theory describes the physical world. There my answer is no, and this is really a matter of belief, because you can not give any experimental proof neither a logical argument against it, but neither for it.

EL said:
This sounds more like new age stuff :tongue2: (no offense).
:

No offense taken. It's a great frustration to me that New Age and neopagan types try to give an air of pseudoscience to their beliefs with all their talk of "vibrations" and "frequencies" and so on, because it make it hard to talk of such things in a scientific context and be taken seriously.

Nonetheless, I've heard it said more than once that the fundamental ingredients of reality are fields of force and waves. I can't help the fact that some distinctly unscientific people may have co-opted ideas that are scientifically important. :smile:

Lelan Thara said:
Why not conceive of higher dimensions in terms of energies, frequencies, wavelengths?.

Well, because such is not the case in -let me italize- the Kaluza Klein approach to string and superstring theories. It could be the case in other approaches, I can not tell. Of course you can rely on relativity and quantum principles to convert between mass, length, energy, frequency and wavelength. This is done when it is appropiate to understand the physical content of a formulation (and, as EL points out, the nomenclature has been freely borrowed and retorted to other meanings by New Age preachers. Not to be blamed, we also borrowed the concepts of energy and mass from philosophers, retorting them to other meanings. Langauge works in this way).

I do not know if other approaches to superstring theory use non spatial dimensions. I can not see how, because the equations of Einstein follow from very basic conditions on the string. But it could be that some of these basic conditions could be weakened. After all, the thing they need is a very special cancelation condition in an algebra, and they could have some other tricks to get that condition without a background space. But if they have, I haven't see such tricks described in any divulgation book.

arivero said:
Well, because such is not the case in -let me italize- the Kaluza Klein approach to string and superstring theories. It could be the case in other approaches, I can not tell. Of course you can rely on relativity and quantum principles to convert between mass, length, energy, frequency and wavelength. .

Now that I know that you accept extra spatial dimensions in Kaluza Klein models, but don't necessarily believe these models are descriptive of reality, I understand what you're telling me better.

arivero said:
...the thing they need is a very special cancelation condition in an algebra, and they could have some other tricks to get that condition without a background space.

I am totally blowing smoke now, and I admit it - but a "very special cancellation condition" sounds like something that could be modeled with destructive interference of waves, and that dimensions describing wavelengths and frequencies might actually be more useful than extra spatial dimensions.

There is a fundamental question I should have asked much earlier - how do you guys define a "space"?

I am aware that there are Minkowski spaces, Riemann spaces, Hilbert spaces, and I'm sure there must be others. I can't adequately describe all these spaces, but I know that they allow for more dimensions, or are n-dimensional.

But I have been using "space" as analogous to "volume".

Can someone tell me how a theoretical physicist defines "space"? I'm afraid I have to ask you to translate into layman's terms, or I won't get your answer.

Thanks again.

Here's how Wikipedia defines space:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space#In_physics

Space is one of the few fundamental quantities in physics, meaning that it cannot be defined via other quantities because there is nothing more fundamental known at present. Thus, similar to the definition of other fundamental quantities (like time and mass), space is defined via measurement. Currently, the standard space interval, called a standard meter or simply meter, is defined as the distance traveled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299792458 of a second (exact). This definition coupled with present definition of time makes our space-time to be Minkowski space and makes special relativity theory to be absolutely correct by definition.

In classical physics, space is a three-dimensional Euclidean space where any position can be described using three coordinates. Special and general relativity uses space-time rather than space; space-time is modeled as a four-dimensional space (with the time axis being imaginary in special relativity and real in general relativity, and currently there are many theories which use more than four-dimensional spaces (both real and complex).
(although I'm not sure what they mean by "with the time axis being imaginary in special relativity and real in general relativity"...)

Last edited:
Thanks, El - I have read that Wiki entry before. The part you quoted is consistent with my conception of space, especially since it stresses that space is intrinsically defined through measurement.

I believe there is a more mathematical description of space that needs to be applied to Hilbert spaces, topological spaces and such, isn't there?

The part I'm unclear on is that it seems like once you get past the 4 necessary and sufficient dimensions, you need a different definition of space than "defined via a measurement", because you're past the point where you can make measurements.

Lelan Thara said:
The part I'm unclear on is that it seems like once you get past the 4 necessary and sufficient dimensions, you need a different definition of space than "defined via a measurement", because you're past the point where you can make measurements.
Not sure I'm following you here. Could you elaborate a bit?

EL, what I meant was that beyond four dimensions you can't pyhsically make real-world measurements.

I did a bit of reading on topological spaces, vector spaces, inner product spaces and such, and it seems that in mathematics, "space" is defined with sets and subsets obeying certain axioms, rather than "space" as volume.

So to say the extra spatial dimensions are really spatial, but the spaces are not volumes, changes the picture.

Lelan Thara said:
So to say the extra spatial dimensions are really spatial, but the spaces are not volumes, changes the picture.

Hmm of course if you define that "Space" is "3-dimensional volume" it is, er, sort of a restrictive definition, and your argument becomes tautology.

arivero said:
Hmm of course if you define that "Space" is "3-dimensional volume" it is, er, sort of a restrictive definition, and your argument becomes tautology.

How I define space is really irrelevant. The issue at hand is how physicists define space.

And the answer, as far as I can determine, is that there is more than one definition of both "space" and "dimension". The failure to recognize this is misleading to laymen. If physicists also fail to recognize that they are using the same words to mean different things, and not recognizing the differences, their researches will suffer, IMHO.

I don't see any tautology arising from using a strict operational definition of "space" and applying it consistently. If definitions of "space" other than "volume" exist, I assume they also involve axioms that must be applied rigorously and consistently. One would hope so, anyways.

Lelan Thara said:
If definitions of "space" other than "volume" exist, I assume they also involve axioms that must be applied rigorously and consistently. One would hope so, anyways.

Indeed, we can for instance use some set of axioms of differential geometry. But the point to be grasped here is that the use of the word "space" as a definition is in such a way that

-an area is an "space"
-a line is an "space"
-a p-dimensional volume is an "space".

This is in distintion to layman "space" aplied only to 3 dimensional volumes.

So if I could try to sum up from that:

We see from observation that a certain number of 'degrees of freedom" are necessary to describe physical processes. Theoretical physicists can legitimately call these degrees of freedom "spatial" because they conform to the mathematical axioms that describe mathematical spaces.

And these extra degrees of freedom may all be describing processes in physical reality. But as long as they are described as an abstract - as spaces beyong our capacity to measure - we will always be left asking what these degrees of freedom really represent in the Minkowski space we are forced to function in.

Lelan Thara said:
So if I could try to sum up from that:

We see from observation that a certain number of 'degrees of freedom" are necessary to describe physical processes. Theoretical physicists can legitimately call these degrees of freedom "spatial" because they conform to the mathematical axioms that describe mathematical spaces.
Almost. They conform to, or they include, the mathematical axioms that describe the families of geometrical spaces, a class narrower than "mathematical spaces" and loaded with geometric meaning.

Particularly, the people of string theory, without relying in observation, builds a series of degrees of freedom that conform to the mathematical axioms that describe the families of geometrical spaces agreeing with the theory of General Relativity.

But as long as they are described as an abstract - as spaces beyong our capacity to measure - we will always be left asking what these degrees of freedom really represent in the Minkowski space we are forced to function in.
Yes but that is for the metaphysical forum. It is as telling me that the number I got in my speed ticked not really represents the concept of speed. I will argue it with the cop next time o:) .

arivero said:
Almost. They conform to, or they include, the mathematical axioms that describe the families of geometrical spaces, a class narrower than "mathematical spaces" and loaded with geometric meaning.

Particularly, the people of string theory, without relying in observation, builds a series of degrees of freedom that conform to the mathematical axioms that describe the families of geometrical spaces agreeing with the theory of General Relativity. .

Should I take it from this that you don't consider geometry a branch of mathematics?

arivero said:
Yes but that is for the metaphysical forum. It is as telling me that the number I got in my speed ticked not really represents the concept of speed. I will argue it with the cop next time o:) .

If I am given a set of observed numbers anad asked to create an internally consistent mathematical model of them, I can come up with any number of mathematical formalisms that will produce the observed numbers. To assume that all - or any - of those mathematical models actually describe the reality that gave rise to the observables, without even being able to conceive of the models in a physically measureable way - that, to me, is metaphysical.

You could also try telling the cop that his concept of a "speed" within a volume is naive, and he needs to divide your speed by 25 spatial dimensions. That might work. :smile:

Lelan Thara said:
Should I take it from this that you don't consider geometry a branch of mathematics?

No, you should understand the meaning of the word "narrower" as a technical term.

Ok I understand, for the better part, that this topic is dead but I need to explain something for those who read over it.

String theories ,mainly the SuperString theory, use a scale of 10 dimentions to describe locations of strings (and to allow for the existence for fermions and bosons in the theory)

The idea of 10 dimensional strings in our "4 dimentional" (3 space and 1 time) worldline is difficult to grasp, as seen. What happens is the extra 6 dimentions are, ideally, wrapped in a ball/coil/ring/whatever someone decides eventually upon at every point in the 4 dimensional worldline that we live in. We cannot detect them due to their size of less than that of strings (which are theoretically 10^-33 cm... which is very very beyond our power to comprehend).

Interesting fact:
In the 1920's Kaluza and Klein came up with the Compactification theory. (and here comes my lazy factor ^^ )
"In the original work of Kaluza it was shown that if we start with a theory of general relativity in 5-spacetime dimensions and then curl up one of the dimensions into a circle we end up with a 4-dimensional theory of general relativity plus electromagnetism! The reason why this works is that electromagnetism is a U(1) gauge theory, and U(1) is just the group of rotations around a circle. If we assume that the electron has a degree of freedom corresponding to point on a circle, and that this point is free to vary on the circle as we move around in spacetime, we find that the theory must contain the photon and that the electron obeys the equations of motion of electromagnetism (namely Maxwell's equations). The Kaluza-Klein mechanism simply gives a geometrical explanation for this circle: it comes from an actual fifth dimension that has been curled up. In this simple example we see that even though the compact dimensions maybe too small to detect directly, they still can have profound physical implications." - John M. Pierre

So I hope i may have cleared up some things. And in my opinion, I believe that the dimentions are real and are just too small and difficult to detect that we cannot actually prove they exist.

In physics and mathematics, the dimension of a space or object is informally defined as the minimum number of coordinates needed to specify any point within it. Using that definition, then dimensions beyond four (including time), appear to create a paradox that a given point within extra spatial dimensions has to be both within and outside of the first four dimensions, and that is why it is difficult or impossible to visualize extra dimensions.

Since this old thread was bumped up just a month ago, I'll add my two cents.

Arivero settled it in the latter part of post #76.

As the original questioner's thought on the subject evolved, it became clear to me that he has been led to believe that extra dimensions of space as theorized by strings are not only unreal in that they do not refer to anything that physically exists, but, as mere mathematical conveniences, they were never even MEANT to refer to real spatial dimensions in the first place.

The jury is out on the first half of the statement. The second half is emphatically wrong. The stringy math predicts extra dimensions. According to the math, they are spatial and they are, in theory, real, at least in so far as the three we are all familiar with can be called "real." Now, whether or not these extra spatial dimensions exist is another question altogether, but I do not think that was the original poster's question, received, as it may have been. His was much more fundamental.

A dimension is simply the measurement of movement.
The movement that we as humans are aware of is

Up and down or Height
Back and forth or Length
Side to side or Width

By this definition, physically we live in a three dimensional world.
So wouldn't a higher dimension have to have more ways of movement in order to be higher?
If so what would they be?

I red full post of yours and its quite awkward but I am junior than you in age but I am very interested In this theory

for ur question " - are the "higher spatial dimensions" of string theory mathematical abstractions only? "

thats a very gud thing that u tried to compare this theory with mathematics
but all these dimensions are not just the abstractions
in mathematics also there are multidimensional structures are there for example
boy's surface
which is nothing but a 2-3 -d manifold
and as we know a manifold is nothing but and
n number demensional surface

comming to string theory the extra spartial dimensions are also from polyakov manifold
and as we know each and every manifold follows certain equation for their particle's path of trajectory

the extra spartial dimensions are derived or coined by polyakov equation
under polyakov action

in the string theory the strings follows only 4 dimensions ie 1d 2d 3d 4d that is time
but in superstring theory the string follows 4 dimensions + 7 extra spartial dimensions

I hope what I stated above may help u

<h2>What is string theory?</h2><p>String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.</p><h2>What are extra dimensions?</h2><p>In string theory, extra dimensions refer to additional spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we are familiar with. These dimensions are thought to be curled up and compactified at a very small scale, making them undetectable to our current technology.</p><h2>How many extra dimensions are there in string theory?</h2><p>String theory predicts that there are a total of 10 dimensions - 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time that we experience, and 6 extra dimensions that are compactified and hidden from our perception.</p><h2>What is the significance of extra dimensions in string theory?</h2><p>Extra dimensions play a crucial role in string theory as they provide a way to unify the fundamental forces of nature. By adding these extra dimensions, string theory is able to explain the apparent inconsistencies between quantum mechanics and general relativity.</p><h2>How can we test or prove the existence of extra dimensions?</h2><p>Currently, we do not have the technology to directly test or prove the existence of extra dimensions. However, scientists are working on experiments and observations that may provide indirect evidence for the existence of these dimensions, such as the search for miniature black holes at the Large Hadron Collider.</p>

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

What are extra dimensions?

In string theory, extra dimensions refer to additional spatial dimensions beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we are familiar with. These dimensions are thought to be curled up and compactified at a very small scale, making them undetectable to our current technology.

How many extra dimensions are there in string theory?

String theory predicts that there are a total of 10 dimensions - 3 dimensions of space and 1 dimension of time that we experience, and 6 extra dimensions that are compactified and hidden from our perception.

What is the significance of extra dimensions in string theory?

Extra dimensions play a crucial role in string theory as they provide a way to unify the fundamental forces of nature. By adding these extra dimensions, string theory is able to explain the apparent inconsistencies between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

How can we test or prove the existence of extra dimensions?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly test or prove the existence of extra dimensions. However, scientists are working on experiments and observations that may provide indirect evidence for the existence of these dimensions, such as the search for miniature black holes at the Large Hadron Collider.