Mixture Composition Calculation for Combustion of Methane and Propane

In summary, to calculate the composition of a mixture of 10 mL of methane and propane for complete combustion, we need 41 mL of O2. Using the ideal gas constraint, we can determine the quantity of moles of each component in the initial mixture. To find the volume fraction, we need to solve the system of equations for the number of moles of each component.
sitam
OP warned about not using the homework template
Say we have a mixture of 10 mL of methane and propane. For a complete combustion, we need 41 mL of O2. Calculate the composition of the mixture in terms of volume, if atmospheric temperature and pressure are constants.

The equations are:
CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O
C3H8 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O

I do not understand the question: am I asked to calculate a percentage of volumes, e.g. VCH4/VC3H8, or simply to find the volumes of CH4 and C3H8 separately (if so, how?)? Am I considering the reactives or the products of the reaction? :confused:

These calculations must come in somewhere in the solution:
I know that all gazes have the same molecular volume at normal temperature and pressure: 22.4L/mol. Therefore I can determine the quantity of moles of each component. In the initial mixture (before reaction), there is:
0.224mol of CH4 + C3H8
0.918mol of O2.

Thx. for helping!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sitam said:
composition
sitam said:
volumes of CH4 and C3H8
You want the volume fraction of the initial mixture, (methane/(methane + propane)), or (propane/(methane + propane)).
sitam said:
0.224mol of CH4 + C3H8
This is correct, given the ideal gas constraint.
sitam said:
41 mL of O2
sitam said:
CH4 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O
C3H8 + O2 --> CO2 + H2O
Balance these two equations.
Solve the system of two equations in two unknowns, number of moles ∝ 10 and number of moles ∝ f(41).

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the study of carbon-containing compounds and their reactions. These compounds are found in living organisms and play a crucial role in life processes. Organic chemistry also involves the study of the synthesis, structure, and properties of these compounds.

2. Why is organic chemistry important?

Organic chemistry is important because it helps us understand the complex molecules that make up living organisms. It also has many practical applications, such as in the development of new medicines, materials, and energy sources.

3. What are some common topics in organic chemistry?

Some common topics in organic chemistry include nomenclature, functional groups, reactions and mechanisms, stereochemistry, and spectroscopy. Organic chemistry also covers a wide range of compounds, including alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, carboxylic acids, and many more.

4. What are some strategies for solving organic chemistry problems?

Some strategies for solving organic chemistry problems include understanding the fundamental concepts and theories, practicing with different types of problems, breaking down complex problems into smaller steps, and using visual aids such as molecular models. It is also important to read and understand the given information and pay attention to details in the question.

5. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of organic chemistry, it is important to actively engage in the material by attending lectures, taking notes, and participating in discussions. Practice problems and review sessions can also help reinforce concepts. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or study group can provide additional support and clarification on difficult topics.