1000 years to improve on gunpowder

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, guns have gone through numerous improvements since the invention of gunpowder. These include rifling, various ignition systems, case designs, powder compositions, and a wide range of warheads for projectiles. The latest advancements include smart projectiles and the use of lasers for targeting and as weapons. The concept of "metal storm" has also been introduced, allowing for extremely rapid fire rates. However, the basic mechanism of guns has remained the same due to its effectiveness and the importance of reliability in firearms. There have also been creative attempts to improve powder performance, but the military has not shown much interest. Overall, there have been significant changes in weapons since 1945 and 1954, but whether these can be considered improvements is debatable
Loren Booda
Why have guns been essentially the same mechanism since the invention of gunpowder? Has there been any improvement in their physics recently?

Engineering news on Phys.org
There have been lots of improvements, beginning, I suppose, with the introduction of rifling. Then they progressed through various ignition systems, case designs and powder compositions. There is also a vast array of warheads available for the projectiles themselves.

The latest improvements have been in smart projectiles. The latest firearms can communicate the range to the projectile, facilitating air bursts directly over the hidden target.

Any progress with the use of lasers in target shooting or as weapons?

Both, yes. Lasers are often mounted on guns for sighting purposes (as seen in the movies) and are currently being fitted to airplanes for shooting down missiles. There won't be laser rifles anytime soon, though (too big).

Another interesting evolution in weapons is the "metal storm" concept. Fires up to 1,000,000 rounds per minute with electronic ignition of the projectile's powder and multiple barrels.

http://www.metalstorm.com/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
THe only and not so recent physical improvement I can think of for guns (and metalstorm seems to be a vast improvment over this even) was getting rapid fire gatling guns by using an electric spark as a hammer onto the primeror to ignite the powder instead of a physical firing pin. I believe that's how some of the guns on our jets are fired.

I heard of these electric guns. If they had them in rifles and hanguns perhaps Id use one for range fun but I would never trust my life to it. I would imagine they keep the same mechanism due to the fact that it works really well and what is at stake if they screw up. I spoke with some engineering folks who figured out creative ways to improve powder performance, they claim the Army wasnt all that interested.

Metalstorm reminds me of the "cone rifles" in Dickson's "Dorsai" stories.

There was a rather large change in weapons in 1945.
And another big change in 1954.

As to if any of this could be considered improvements :uhh:

1. How would gunpowder be improved over 1000 years?

Over the course of 1000 years, gunpowder could be improved in many ways. Scientists and engineers could experiment with different ratios of the three main components of gunpowder (saltpeter, sulfur, and charcoal) to find the most efficient and powerful mix. They could also work on refining the production process to create more consistent and high-quality gunpowder. Additionally, advancements in technology could lead to more precise and accurate methods of measuring and mixing gunpowder, resulting in even better performance.

2. Would gunpowder still be the main propellant for firearms after 1000 years of improvement?

It is likely that gunpowder would still be the main propellant for firearms even after 1000 years of improvement. While there may be new and advanced propellants developed, gunpowder has proven to be a reliable and effective propellant for centuries. It is also a relatively simple and inexpensive substance to produce, making it a practical choice for widespread use in firearms.

3. What other applications could improved gunpowder have?

Aside from its use in firearms, improved gunpowder could have a variety of other applications. For example, it could be used as a propellant in rockets or as a fuel source for engines. It could also be used in mining and construction to blast through rock and other materials. Additionally, gunpowder has been used in fireworks for centuries and improvements could lead to even more spectacular displays.

4. How might improved gunpowder impact warfare?

Improved gunpowder could have a significant impact on warfare. It could make firearms more powerful and accurate, leading to more devastating effects on the battlefield. It could also lead to the development of new and more advanced weapons, changing the tactics and strategies of warfare. Additionally, if gunpowder were to be used in other applications, such as rockets or explosives, it could have an even greater impact on warfare.

5. Will there be any negative consequences of 1000 years of gunpowder improvement?

It is possible that there could be negative consequences of 1000 years of gunpowder improvement. For example, if gunpowder were to become more powerful and efficient, it could lead to more destructive and deadly weapons. There could also be environmental concerns related to the production and use of gunpowder. However, with proper regulation and responsible use, these negative consequences could potentially be mitigated.