8 Nail Gun - Use with Care

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun
In summary: I can't judge distances. :frown:In summary, the most dangerous tool is the skillsaw in which the blade guard has been taken off for quicker cutting. I've seen two guys bounce one of those suckers off the side of their leg. It makes a disturbing noise.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A most dangerous piece of kit, i used to build fence/shed nailing
machines fitted with up to 8 of these guns, and i treated the things
with ultimate respect, but now they are available to the general
public , i think if (anyone) is to use one they should be (trained)
in it use, i mean they can fire 6inch barbed nails through 4 inches of wood.
Evo, no.

Physics news on Phys.org
I watched a man nail his knee-cap, while he was roofing. The worst part was trying to get him down from the roof, while begging him not to pull the nail out himself. I've always wondered how it healed.
I also know someone who used a nail gun to try and put carpet down on a cement floor. He was lucky, but the scar on his cheek will remind him forever how stupid he was.

There are tools designed for shooting nails into cement floors, though - I'm using one now on my basement.

wolram said:
A most dangerous piece of kit, i used to build fence/shed nailing
machines fitted with up to 8 of these guns, and i treated the things
with ultimate respect, but now they are available to the general
public , i think if (anyone) is to use one they should be (trained)
in it use, i mean they can fire 6inch barbed nails through 4 inches of wood.
Evo, no.
I almost bought one, then decided against it, I do enough damage with a hammer. :redface:

russ_watters said:
There are tools designed for shooting nails into cement floors, though - I'm using one now on my basement.

I remember when Remington came out with the stud drivers. They only had two cartridge sizes, too small and KRRR WHHAAAAM.:smile:

Evo said:
I almost bought one, then decided against it, I do enough damage with a hammer. :redface:

Evo packing a nail gun , now that is a scarry thought.

edward said:
Evo packing a nail gun , now that is a scarry thought.
:redface: I am constantly covered with bruises. You should hear me walking through the house. WHAM! WHAM! Apparantly I can't judge distances. :frown:

Advice

Evo said:
:redface: I am constantly covered with bruises. You should hear me walking through the house. WHAM! WHAM! Apparantly I can't judge distances. :frown:
:eek:
Drink less (alcohol).
Get new spectacles.

:cool:

Evo said:

Wasn't there a thread a while back about you and a chainsaw? :bugeye:

I have encountered people who shot themselves with nail guns. One guy was nailing two pieced of wood together while holding them with his hand. The nail went through the wood and into his finger!

And I have seen some near misses.

berkeman said:
Wasn't there a thread a while back about you and a chainsaw? :bugeye:
Yep. Brewnog drew a very graphic depiction of me sawing a tree limb. :redface: Actually that was the weeping willow thread, here's the chainsaw thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117743

Last edited:
Another advice

Evo said:
Yep. Brewnog drew a very graphic depiction of me sawing a tree limb. :redface: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117743
Use an axe/big scissors instead!
This is less dangerous + you'll give yourself a good upper body workout exercise:biggrin:

Last edited:
I have used them daily, but now only on weekends. They are wonderful. I've had some close calls, but no skin breakage ;) I did have a guy working with me whom shot himself right in the web of his hand between his thumb and rest of his hand. He proceeded to pull it out, but then it bled too bad. He drove himself to the hospital and as he was driving away he yelled out the car window "Maybe they'll put a shingle on it for me there haha!".

The most dangerous tool is by far the the skillsaw in which the blade guard has been taken off for quicker cutting. I've seen two guys bounce one of those suckers off the side of their leg. It makes a disturbing noise.

I miss my construction days sometimes ;)

Beeza said:
The most dangerous tool is by far the the skillsaw in which the blade guard has been taken off for quicker cutting. I've seen two guys bounce one of those suckers off the side of their leg. It makes a disturbing noise.

OMG! Skillsaws are dangerous enough as-is. What fool would take the guard off? I agree with you that I've had more close calls with skillsaws than with any other power tool, including my tablesaw.

Astronuc said:
And I have seen some near misses.

I think you mean near hits.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I think you mean near hits.

:rofl: And some people wonder why you have the Funniest Member award! :rofl:

Good point though! :blushing:

Evo said:
My very lovely young cousin is a dancer and she moves beautifully when she is doing ballet in a stage production, etc. When she's not practicing or performing, she's an absolute klutz - always bumping into stuff. When she gets married this summer, I'll be surprised if she doesn't stumble on her way down the aisle. If she does, she'll just blush, grin, and forge on.

berkeman said:
OMG! Skillsaws are dangerous enough as-is. What fool would take the guard off? I agree with you that I've had more close calls with skillsaws than with any other power tool, including my tablesaw.

In framing, time is money :) Pulling the guard back every 2 seconds gets old :rolleyes:

This guy was not paying due care and attension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinhead_(Hellraiser )

Last edited by a moderator:
Home Nail-Gun Injuries on the Rise
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9564611

Morning Edition, April 13, 2007 · The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cites 37,000 nail-gun injuries in its most recent annual report — up 200 percent since 1991. Home use may explain the trend. Injuries among professional construction workers remained static.
:bugeye:

Ummm :uhh: - Be careful!

Astronuc said:
Home Nail-Gun Injuries on the Rise
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9564611

:bugeye:

Ummm :uhh: - Be careful!

Most of the guns have an inherent safety flaw in the way they are triggered.

They are supposed to be fired in a sequence. First one pushes the tip of the gun against the desired object to be nailed and then pulls the trigger.

With many of them , if the trigger remains pulled the gun will fire when the tip contacts anything, including your foot or a friend.

A lot of them now have a spring loaded safety device that requires pulling the trigger for each fire of the gun in addition to the tip being in contact with an object. Construction workers have been removing the springs.:rolleyes:

This kind of reminds me of the days when drills and circular saws did not have the sequential pressing of the thumb and pulling of the trigger.

1. What is an 8 nail gun?

An 8 nail gun is a type of power tool used for driving nails into various materials, including wood, metal, and concrete. It is typically used in construction and carpentry projects.

2. How does an 8 nail gun work?

An 8 nail gun uses compressed air or an electric motor to drive nails into the material. When the trigger is pulled, a piston is activated, which pushes the nail out of the gun and into the material.

3. Is it safe to use an 8 nail gun?

Like any power tool, an 8 nail gun can be dangerous if not used properly. It is important to always follow safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and keeping your fingers away from the nail gun's firing mechanism.

4. What types of nails can be used with an 8 nail gun?

An 8 nail gun can typically use any type of nail that fits within its size range, which is usually 2-1/2 inches to 3-1/2 inches. This includes common nails, finishing nails, and brad nails.

5. How do I maintain an 8 nail gun?

To ensure safe and effective use, an 8 nail gun should be regularly maintained. This includes cleaning the gun after each use, checking for any damaged or worn parts, and lubricating the moving components. It is also important to store the gun in a dry and secure place when not in use.