Solving Nonlinear ODEs with Trigonometric Functions in Physics

In summary, the first problem is a differential equation involving y, y', and lambda. The second problem is a pair of nonlinear differential equations involving m, g, a, theta, and phi. The equations were given as part of a physics homework assignment and can possibly be solved without using mathematica. The first problem was later solved using separation and integration tables, and the solution was y = c cosh((x-b)/c) - lambda. The second problem may involve a small angle approximation, as suggested by a previous similar problem.
Mindscrape
I have a couple ODEs that I need to solve. I was probably just going to put them into mathematica, but I like finding the analytical way also. The first one is

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{(y + \lambda)y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}} \right) = \sqrt{1+y'^2}[/tex]

Lambda is a constant and y' is dy/dx. I suppose that after all the quotients and products are evaluated it could be separated, but that is a lot of work if there is a nice trick to employ.

The other one, the one I am actually curious about since it is nonlinear, is actually a pair of ODEs

[tex]ma^2(sin^2\theta \ddot{\phi}+ 2\phi sin\theta cos\theta) = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]ma^2 \ddot{\theta} = -mga sin\theta + 2a^2 sin\theta cos\theta \dot{\phi}^2[/tex]

In this problem, m, g, and a are constants. I need to solve the coupled equations for both phi and theta. I was thinking that maybe I could convert the equations into first order ODEs, and then solve the system of equations, but I'm not sure how to deal with the nonlinearity of the [tex] \dot{\phi}^2[/tex] and trig functions.

These came from assigned physics HW problems (Legrangians/Hamiltonians), so I assume they can be solved without mathematica.

*Nevermind about the first one, I solved it with separation and integration tables. The solution was [tex] y = c cosh((x-b)/c) - \lambda[/tex] in case anyone guessed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to do a similar problem earlier this semester and it was implicit in the question that we could do a small angle approximation.

Also, you might want to check out arildno's complicated answer (post #7) about how we can drop the squares angular velocity also in the small angle aprox:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152090

1. What is an analytical solution to an ODE?

An analytical solution to an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical expression that represents the exact solution to the given equation. It is obtained by finding an antiderivative of the equation.

2. How is an analytical solution different from a numerical solution?

An analytical solution provides the exact solution to an ODE, while a numerical solution approximates the solution using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. Analytical solutions are typically preferred when possible, as they are more accurate and provide a deeper understanding of the problem.

3. Can all ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all ODEs can be solved analytically. Some equations are too complex or do not have a known antiderivative, making it impossible to find an analytical solution. In these cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

4. What are the advantages of using an analytical solution?

One advantage of using an analytical solution is that it provides the exact solution to the ODE, allowing for a deeper understanding of the problem. It also tends to be more accurate than numerical solutions. Additionally, analytical solutions can often be used to find general solutions to families of equations, rather than just a specific solution.

5. What are some common techniques for finding analytical solutions to ODEs?

Some common techniques for finding analytical solutions to ODEs include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. These methods involve manipulating the equation algebraically to isolate the dependent and independent variables, making it possible to find an antiderivative and thus the analytical solution.