What is the Precession Frequency of a Rotating Bicycle Wheel?

In summary, a professor is holding a rotating bicycle wheel with a string attached to a weightless axle. The wheel has a radius of 53.6 cm and is rotating at 402 rev/min. The professor wants to know the frequency in rpm at which the wheel precesses. Using rotational kinematics equations and the moment of inertia for a ring/hoop, the equation (mass of the wheel) * (radius of the wheel)^2 * (omega given) - (mass of the wheel) * (length of the string)^2 * (omega unknown) = 0 can be used to solve for the unknown frequency in rpm.
kiwikahuna

Homework Statement

A professor holds a bicycle wheel rotating at 402 rev/min by a string attached to a weightless axle 20 cm from the wheel. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If all 7.5 kg of the wheel can be considered to be at its 53.6 cm radius, at what frequency in rpm does it precess?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Frequency=omega
I honestly am stumped with this problem but I was thinking of using a rotational kinematics equation to solve this.
The 402 rev/min can be converted to Omega initial. We can solved for Omega final using wf^2=wi^2 +2a(delta x).
Please help if you can!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok here's what I did.

(Mass of the wheel) * (Radius of the wheel)^2 (Omega given) - (Mass of the wheel)* (Length of the string)^2 * (Omega Unknown) = 0

(7.5 kg)(.536 m)^2(402 rev/min) - (7.5 kg) *(0.20 m)^2 * (Omega unknown) = 0

Is this the right to solve this problem? I feel as if I'm not getting/missing something.

What is the physics behind a rotating bicycle wheel?

The physics behind a rotating bicycle wheel is known as angular momentum. This is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion.

Why does a rotating bicycle wheel stay upright?

A rotating bicycle wheel stays upright due to the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as the wheel rotates, it maintains its angular momentum and resists any changes in its motion, such as tipping over.

How does the rotation of the bicycle wheel affect its stability?

The rotation of the bicycle wheel contributes to its stability by creating a gyroscopic effect. This means that the rotating wheel produces a force that helps to keep the bike upright and balanced.

What happens when a rotating bicycle wheel experiences a change in its rotation?

If a rotating bicycle wheel experiences a change in its rotation, such as a sudden turn or tilt, the angular momentum will shift and the wheel will resist this change, causing the bike to steer in the direction of the shift.

Can the rotation of a bicycle wheel be used for other purposes?

Yes, the rotation of a bicycle wheel is used in various applications, such as gyroscopes in navigation systems and flywheels in energy storage systems. The principles of angular momentum and gyroscopic effect are also utilized in sports equipment, such as in tennis racquets and golf clubs.