Problem with oscilloscope hindering interrupt input on CPU

In summary, the high impedance pull up on the interrupt pin is causing the voltage to drop too low, preventing the interrupt from being triggered in software.
TheAnalogKid83
I was trying to measure the delay time of an external interrupt by putting an oscilloscope probe on the input interrupt and a probe on an output pin. The interrupt is falling-edge triggered, so when i short the pin to ground, the interrupt is triggered. The pin has a 1M external pull up on the board, but I'm not sure what the pin's internal circuitry looks like, except that I'm assuming its like a high impedance buffer. The interrupt works fine by itself with no probe attached.

When the probe is attached to the interrupt pin and I short the interrupt pin to ground, the probe shows the voltage dropping from high to 0V; however, the interrupt is not triggered in software. Also, if I disconnect the probes ground and leave it floating, it will start to trigger the interrupt without myself even shorting the pin to ground. The probes impedance is very high, I think 10Mohm.

I made a schematic to show the problem. The schematic is really simple, and its how I understand what's going on. Maybe I'm missing something?

I know 1M is a high pull-up value and makes the pin more susceptable to noise, but I think the oscilloscope impedance is even much higher to this to where it still is not going to add on any loading to the pin.

I just am getting angry because I'm shorting the pin to ground so how could it see anything else but a logic-low voltage?

Attachments

• probe_problem.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 188
Engineering news on Phys.org
ok i figured it out.

The 1M pull up and 10M scope acting like a voltage divider really does drop the voltage too low to (2.72V from a 3.3V high), to where the input pin is always seeing a low. I wsa just doing it in my head and estimated about a 2.8V and even then it is too low. I didn't realize the cpu needed to see a higher voltage as high.

Analogkid83, why are u using such a high res(1M) pull up resistor?
any particular reason?

1. What is an oscilloscope and how does it hinder interrupt input on a CPU?

An oscilloscope is a measuring instrument used to display and analyze electronic signals. In some cases, it can cause interference with the signals being processed by the CPU, resulting in missed or delayed interrupts.

2. How can I determine if my oscilloscope is causing issues with interrupt input on my CPU?

You can use a logic analyzer to monitor the signal being sent to the CPU and compare it to the expected signal. If there are discrepancies or delays, it may be caused by the oscilloscope.

3. What are some possible solutions to this problem?

One solution is to use a shielded cable to connect the oscilloscope to the circuit being measured. This can help reduce interference. Additionally, you can try using an external trigger on the oscilloscope, rather than relying on the internal trigger.

4. Can using an oscilloscope damage my CPU?

In most cases, using an oscilloscope should not damage the CPU. However, if there is a lot of interference or incorrect connections, it is possible for the CPU to be damaged. It is important to carefully follow safety precautions and double check all connections before using an oscilloscope.

5. Is there a way to prevent the oscilloscope from interfering with my CPU's interrupt input?

Aside from using shielded cables and an external trigger, you can also try adjusting the probe settings on the oscilloscope. Lowering the probe's impedance or using a lower sensitivity can help reduce interference. It may also be helpful to consult the oscilloscope's manual for tips on reducing interference.