Electron in a parallel plate capacitor

In summary: Oh wow, this is quite an old thread. I guess the problem was to find the magnitude of the electric field. If you already have the acceleration of the electron, you're all set. What's the equation for Newton's Second Law? What's the equation for electric force? How do these equations relate to one another in this particular problem?
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? thanks.

I believe the posters in the previous thread hinted at the strategy quite nicely, but I suppose I'll detail it a bit more. First note the equations for kinematics. Let's define the vertical direction as our y-direction, and the horizontal direction as our x-direction. What is happening to the electron in the x-direction in terms of force (and subsequently accelertion)? Consider the same for the y-direction. You should be able to use these kinematic equations to find the acceleration of the electron. Then consider Newton's Second Law, and how the acceleration fits into this equation. This will allow you to find the net force, which is an electric force (hint hint). How can you write down the electric force in terms of the charge of the particle and the electric field?

Last edited:
hotcommodity said:
I believe the posters in the previous thread hinted at the strategy quite nicely, but I suppose I'll detail it a bit more. First note the equations for kinematics. Let's define the vertical direction as our y-direction, and the horizontal direction as our x-direction. What is happening to the electron in the x-direction in terms of force (and subsequently accelertion)? Consider the same for the y-direction. You should be able to use these kinematic equations to find the acceleration of the electron. Then consider Newton's Second Law, and how the acceleration fits into this equation. This will allow you to find the net force, which is an electric force (hint hint). How can you write down the electric force in terms of the charge of the particle and the electric field?

I have the acceleration, but nothing else makes sense after that. Care to explain?

selter01 said:
I have the acceleration, but nothing else makes sense after that. Care to explain?

Oh wow, this is quite an old thread. I guess the problem was to find the magnitude of the electric field. If you already have the acceleration of the electron, you're all set. What's the equation for Newton's Second Law? What's the equation for electric force? How do these equations relate to one another in this particular problem?

1. What is an electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

An electron in a parallel plate capacitor refers to the movement of an electron between two parallel plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. This movement of electrons creates an electric field between the plates and allows for the storage of electrical energy.

2. How does an electron move in a parallel plate capacitor?

An electron moves in a parallel plate capacitor due to the difference in potential between the two plates. The negative plate, also known as the cathode, has an excess of electrons, while the positive plate, or anode, has a deficit of electrons. This creates an electric field that causes the electrons to move from the cathode to the anode.

3. What is the purpose of a parallel plate capacitor?

The purpose of a parallel plate capacitor is to store electrical energy. It is commonly used in electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones, to store energy and provide a stable power supply.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electron in a parallel plate capacitor?

The distance between the plates, also known as the plate separation, affects the electric field strength and the capacitance of the parallel plate capacitor. A larger plate separation results in a weaker electric field and a lower capacitance, while a smaller plate separation results in a stronger electric field and a higher capacitance.

5. Can an electron in a parallel plate capacitor move indefinitely?

No, an electron in a parallel plate capacitor cannot move indefinitely. Eventually, the electrons will reach the anode, and the capacitor will become fully charged. At this point, the electrons will stop moving, and the capacitor will not be able to store any more energy.