Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the total number of protons, neutrons, and electrons for different isotopes. The formula A = Z + N is used, where A is the atomic mass number, Z is the number of protons, and N is the number of neutrons. The importance of the atomic number from the periodic table is mentioned, as well as the calculation for determining the number of electrons.
elephantorz
1. I have [tex]^{9}[/tex]Be[tex]^{+}[/tex], [tex]^{12}[/tex]C, and [tex]^{15}[/tex]N[tex]^{+++}[/tex] isotopes, and I need to find the total of protons, neutrons, and electrons.
A = Z + N, where A is the atomic mass number and Z is the number of protons and N is the number of Neutrons.
3. I know this is an easy question, I put it in physics because they asked me this in my physics class. For beryllium, I think there is ONE less electron right? Normally it would be four since there are four protons, so then there are three electrons, three protons and 6 neutrons? Since A is 9, for the others I am still weary, since I got this info online, I just want to know how to get this from the periodic table and just figure it out myself, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
elephantorz said:
For beryllium, I think there is ONE less electron right? Normally it would be four since there are four protons, so then there are three electrons, three protons and 3 neutrons? Since A is 9,

Close. You're right about the protons and electrons. But you made a small subtraction error when calculating the number of neutrons. Try again?

for the others I am still weary, since I got this info online, I just want to know how to get this from the periodic table and just figure it out myself, thanks!

The only thing you need to know from the periodic table is the atomic number, which tells you the number of protons. You are given the value of A and the total charge on the isotope, so you can easily get the numbers of neutrons and electrons.

Ok, so N = A - Z, so 9 - 4 = 5 neutrons, 4 protons, and 3 electrons, thanks!

Yes, that's right. That basic algorithm will work for the other isotopes, too.

Thank you :D, I figured it out.

What are protons, neutrons, and electrons?

Protons, neutrons, and electrons are subatomic particles that make up atoms. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge.

How many protons, neutrons, and electrons are in an atom?

The number of protons and neutrons in an atom varies depending on the element, but the number of electrons is always equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom. For example, a carbon atom has 6 protons and 6 neutrons, and therefore 6 electrons.

What is the role of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus of an atom, while electrons orbit around the nucleus. Protons determine the element of an atom, while neutrons help stabilize the nucleus. Electrons are involved in chemical bonding and determine the reactivity of an atom.

How are protons, neutrons, and electrons discovered?

Protons and electrons were discovered through experiments with cathode rays in the late 1800s. Neutrons were discovered in 1932 through experiments involving atomic nuclei and radiation.

Can protons, neutrons, and electrons be created or destroyed?

Protons, neutrons, and electrons are considered to be fundamental particles and cannot be created or destroyed. However, protons and neutrons can be converted into each other through nuclear reactions, and electrons can be added or removed from atoms through chemical reactions.