Physics or Maths or Computers as a Research Career

In summary: Have you considered research on Quantum Computing ? This might be a nice blend of the fields in which you are interested. However, I guess it is pretty hard, so you should not only like these three fields but be very good at them.Yea, I have considered that field... But I am required to do a Physics Bachelors for that... and i am not willing to waste other three years of my life into academia... especially when i want to go into research...
xavier_r
I want to go into research... but i equally like the three fields, ie., Physics, Maths and Computers...

I am very confused, I can't understand which direction should I go...

Any suggestions?

PS. I have done my Bachelors in Computer Science

Physics news on Phys.org
What I think can help with that decision is for you to start looking into graduate schools and speaking with professors. Look at the specicific projects that are available and figure out which ones excite you the most. The good thing is that the three fields compliment each other very well and so by choosing one direction, you won't be eliminating the other two.

You may find it difficult to get into a mathematics or physics program with an undergraduate degree in computer science, but this depends on the courses you took. Specific graduate programs will define their own requirements for admission.

Every physics student I know uses math and computer science on a daily basis. If you want to combine the three, just go into physics and you'll use them all - my research requires me to do a lot of math and a lot of programming to model systems. It's the best of all worlds.

There is a difference between using math and computer science and doing research in them, though, which is what the OP was asking about. While advances in math occasionally come out of physics and computer science, I've never heard of an advance in computer science coming out of physics.

Monocles said:
I've never heard of an advance in computer science coming out of physics.

What about the internet? :tongue2:

(or, more precisely, the world wide web).

Didn't information theory draw a bit of inspiration from statistical physics?

xavier_r said:
I want to go into research... but i equally like the three fields, ie., Physics, Maths and Computers...

Have you considered research on Quantum Computing ? This might be a nice blend of the fields in which you are interested. However, I guess it is pretty hard, so you should not only like these three fields but be very good at them.

Oberst Villa said:
Have you considered research on Quantum Computing ?

Yea, I have considered that field... But I am required to do a Physics Bachelors for that... and i am not willing to waste other three years of my life into academia... especially when i want to go into research...

Choppy said:
What I think can help with that decision is for you to start looking into graduate schools and speaking with professors. Look at the specicific projects that are available and figure out which ones excite you the most.

Well, mathematical physics excites me the most, but I am not sure, how my computer science degree will help me get into there...

You certainly can't do research in mathematical physics with a computer science degree. But you can do a master's degree in mathematics, physics or mathematical physics and try to get into research that way. It will involve a lot of work and extra reading though.

Also consider that mathematical physics is extremely competitive. Unless you are very good it's unlikely that you can break in in the first place, and you won't make an impact unless you are very, very good (or very, very lucky, I guess...)

1. What is the difference between Physics, Maths, and Computers as research careers?

Physics, Maths, and Computers are all different fields of study, but they can overlap in many ways when it comes to research. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. Maths is the study of numbers, quantities, and shapes, as well as the relationships between them. Computers involve the design, development, and use of computer systems and software. As research careers, each field offers its own unique set of challenges and opportunities.

2. How do I decide which field of research is right for me?

Choosing a field of research is a personal decision that should be based on your interests, skillset, and goals. If you enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking, Maths and Physics may be a good fit for you. If you have a passion for technology and programming, a career in Computer Science may be more suitable. It is important to explore each field and gain hands-on experience to determine which one aligns with your interests and strengths.

3. What are some potential career paths in Physics, Maths, and Computers?

There are many career paths available in these fields, both in academia and industry. Physics research can lead to careers in fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and materials science. Maths research can lead to careers in areas like data analysis, cryptography, and mathematical modeling. Computer Science research can lead to careers in software engineering, data science, and artificial intelligence. Additionally, there are many interdisciplinary career opportunities that combine aspects of these fields.

4. How important is collaboration in these research careers?

Collaboration is essential in these research careers. Physics, Maths, and Computer Science often require a team of researchers with diverse backgrounds and expertise to tackle complex problems. Collaborating with others can lead to new perspectives, innovative ideas, and more efficient progress in research. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for presenting research findings and working effectively with others in a research setting.

5. What are some current areas of research in Physics, Maths, and Computers?

The fields of Physics, Maths, and Computer Science are constantly evolving and there are always new areas of research emerging. Some current areas of research in Physics include dark matter, quantum computing, and renewable energy. In Maths, current research topics include machine learning, graph theory, and mathematical biology. In Computer Science, areas of research include cybersecurity, virtual reality, and big data analysis. These are just a few examples, and there are many other exciting and cutting-edge research areas to explore in these fields.