Understanding Energy Operator in Time-Dependent Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the time dependent Schrödinger equation allows for the use of the identity E = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} as the energy operator. However, there is some confusion regarding whether this operator is the same as the Hamiltonian or the time derivative operator. In advanced texts, the Hamiltonian is defined as the generator of translations in time, but in classical quantum mechanics, time is not an observable and is instead a parameter that determines how the quantum state evolves. The energy-time uncertainty relation, while related to commutators, does not involve a time operator.
good_phy
Hi liboff proble 5.28 says

time dependent schrodinger equation permits the identity such as [itex] E = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex] (E is operator)

But i don't understand E( is operator in this problem) can be thought energy operator

Is energy operator only H, Hamiltonian?

If E is energy operator, We can find some uncertainty by using commute relation

[tex]\Delta E \Delta t = \frac{1}{2} \hbar [/tex]

Considering this relation, We can think if we know current energy eigenstate, meaning we

know exact energy value, uncertainty of t,time is indefinity.

What does it means? we can't find exact time that state measured experienced?

what does it means?Please remove my confuse.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure I understand you correctly, also, your second image didn't show. But I have never seen E being represented as an operator, it has always been the eigenvalue of the operator H. Also, the operator you wrote has the dimensions of momentum, not of energy, so I don't understand how this can relate to energy at all. Could you perhaps provide more details?

The Schrödinger equation is

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\psi=H\psi[/itex]

That's why the operator on the left can be thought of as an energy operator. It is the hamiltonian. Note that it's d/dt, not d/dx. Also note that there's no time operator, so the energy-time "uncertainty relation" has nothing to do with commutators.

Ah ok, with time derivatives it makes more sense. However, I still disagree that this is the "energy operator". Nor is it the Hamiltonian, any more than an eigenvalue of H is the Hamiltonian. Rather, it's just what gives the time evolution of a system.

In advanced texts (i.e. Weinberg) the Hamiltonian is actually defined as the generator of translations in time. That approach goes something like this:

There must be a unitary operator U(t) that translates a state a time t. The unitarity implies that its Taylor expansion takes the form U(t)=1-iHt+... where "1" is the unit operator, and H is a Hermitian operator. Let's call H "the Hamiltonian". The property U(t+t')=U(t)U(t') implies that U(t)=exp(-iHt). If you multiply by i and take the time derivative, you get idU(t)/dt=HU(t). So the time translation operator satisfies the Schrödinger equation (in units such that [itex]\hbar=1[/itex]).

Given a state vector [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], you can define a time dependent state vector [itex]|\psi;t\rangle=U(t)|\psi\rangle[/itex]. Since U(t) satisfies the Schrödinger equation, the time dependent state vector must satisfy it too.

I agree with all this, and the fact that the Hamiltonian generates time translation is easily seen from the Schrödinger equation itself. What I mean is that the Hamiltonian and the time derivative operator mentioned are not the same operators. They are related through the Schrödinger equation, but they are not the same. In classical qm, time is not an observable on the same footing as position and momentum. We can't act with the "time operator" on a state and find its eigenvalue or some probability for an eigenvalue. Rather, it is a parameter. How the quantum state evolves with this parameter, given the system Hamiltonian H, is what we get from the Schrödinger equation.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system over time. It is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state at a given time.

2. What is the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a version of the Schrodinger equation that takes into account the time evolution of a quantum system. It includes a time-dependent potential energy term that allows for the calculation of the probability of finding a particle in a specific state at a specific time.

3. What is the energy operator in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

The energy operator in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is denoted by the letter H and is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum state.

4. How is the energy operator applied in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

In the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, the energy operator is applied to the wave function of a quantum system to calculate the time derivative of the wave function. This allows for the prediction of the future behavior of the system and the calculation of the probability of finding the particle in a specific state at a specific time.

5. What is the significance of understanding the energy operator in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

Understanding the energy operator in the time-dependent Schrodinger equation is crucial for accurately predicting the behavior of quantum systems. It allows scientists to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state at a specific time, which is essential for many applications in quantum mechanics, such as predicting the behavior of atoms and molecules.