Can you recommend a good book on QM?

• Thread starter hl_world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qm
In summary, the conversation is about someone's interest in quantum mechanics and their struggle to find reliable and consistent information on the subject. The person is looking for book recommendations, and two books mentioned are "The Strange World of Quantum Mechanics" by Daniel Styer and "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman. Another book recommendation is "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose.
hl_world
I left High School a few years back with a C grade in Higher Physics and recently have found Quantum Mechanics quite interesting but I been trying to get to grips with a Physicists basic understanding of QM. The resources on the web seem to contradict each other and it's all very confusing. It also leaves me with some questions that I can't find answers to.

So what books out there have clear, honest and consistent information on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

"QED: The strange theory of light and matter" by Richard Feynman is a classic. I like Roger Penrose's book too, e.g. "The emperor's new mind". (Both of these are popular science books).

1. What is a good book to learn about quantum mechanics (QM)?

One highly recommended book for beginners is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. It provides a clear and accessible introduction to the subject without requiring advanced mathematical knowledge.

2. Can you suggest a book that covers the mathematical aspects of QM?

"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths is a popular choice for its comprehensive coverage of the mathematics behind quantum mechanics. It also includes many exercises and examples for practice.

3. I am interested in the history of QM. Any book recommendations?

"The Quantum World: Quantum Physics for Everyone" by Kenneth W. Ford provides a historical perspective on the development of quantum mechanics and its key concepts. It is suitable for readers with basic knowledge of mathematics and physics.

4. Are there any QM books that use real-world applications and examples?

"The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by Brian Greene explores the connection between quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity through real-life examples and applications. It is a great choice for readers interested in the intersection of physics and philosophy.

5. I am looking for a book that is more advanced. Any recommendations?

"Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman and Albert Hibbs is a classic text that delves into the advanced topics of quantum mechanics using the path integral formulation. It is a challenging read but highly recommended for those with a strong background in mathematics and physics.