Problem Books in Quantum Field Theory Discussion

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qft
In summary, the conversation suggests starting a discussion on "Problems and solutions" books in QFT. The following four books are mentioned: "Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics" by Ta-Pei Cheng, "Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory" by Voja Radovanovic, "Field Quantization" by Walter Greiner (3.5 stars on Amazon), and "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Walter Greiner (5 stars on Amazon). The conversation also mentions Atkinson's book in QFT, but the speaker is not too fond of it. They recommend Greiner's books, Cheng & Li's book, and Radovanovic's book as the most useful. They also mention the possibility of finding solutions for the
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello, as a new student of OFT and theoretical particle physics, I thought there might be good to create a thread where discussion on "Problems and solutions"-books in QFT are devoted.

There is already discussion going on about "which book is best for QFT" and also thread where McMahons book "QFT demystifed" is under investigation.

I here suggest 4 books which has the character "problems and solutions in QFT" which we may start discussion on. Feel free to add books to the discussion if you like. Books which has costumer comments on Amazon has been indicated with a star (*).

i) Gauge Theory of Elementary Particle Physics: Problems and Solutions, by Ta-Pei Cheng, Oxford

ii) Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory, by Voja Radovanovic, Springer

iii) Field Quantization, by Walter Greiner, Springer (3.5*'s)

iv) Quantum Electrodynamics, by Walter Greiner, Springer (5*'s)

Physics news on Phys.org
damn, I was full of hope until I scrolled down.

Atkinson has a problem book in QFT and also basic QM. I'm not too crazy about it. I think Greiner's books (he has one for weak interactions and QCD as well), Cheng & Li, and Radovanovic are the most useful. Also I believe that there are some solutions floating out there on the internet for the draft version of Srednicki's QFT book.

Atkinson's book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589490312/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What is a problem book in quantum field theory discussion?

A problem book in quantum field theory discussion is a collection of exercises and problems that are designed to test and enhance one's understanding of the concepts and principles in quantum field theory. These books often include detailed solutions and explanations to help readers grasp the material more effectively.

2. How can a problem book in quantum field theory discussion be useful?

A problem book in quantum field theory discussion can be a valuable resource for students and researchers looking to deepen their understanding of the subject. By practicing with a variety of problems and exercises, readers can improve their problem-solving skills and gain a stronger grasp of the underlying concepts in quantum field theory.

3. What topics are typically covered in a problem book in quantum field theory discussion?

Most problem books in quantum field theory discussion cover a wide range of topics, including classical field theory, relativistic quantum mechanics, perturbation theory, gauge theories, and renormalization. Some books may also include more advanced topics such as quantum chromodynamics and supersymmetry.

4. Are problem books in quantum field theory discussion suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific book and the level of the reader. Some problem books in quantum field theory discussion may be more suitable for advanced students and researchers, while others may be geared towards beginners. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your current level of knowledge and understanding.

5. Can a problem book in quantum field theory discussion be used for self-study?

Yes, a problem book in quantum field theory discussion can be a valuable tool for self-study. However, it is recommended to also consult other resources, such as textbooks and lecture notes, to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or instructor when working through challenging problems.