Given Sound-Level B1 at A Distance D1, Find D2 at Sound Level B2

• Thread starter antiderivativ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the sound level from a pneumatic chipper drops by 40 dB when the listener is 2.4495 m away. Using the inverse square law, the listener needs to be 200 m away from the chipper in order for the sound level to be 40 dB quieter. The initial distance should not be added to the final distance calculation.
antiderivativ
I'm here to check my work again. I hope you don't mind. I'm going to try to check as many as I can today. :)

The sound-level 2.0 m from a pneumatic chipper is 120 dB. Assuming it radiates uniformly in all directions, how far from it must you be in order for the level to drop 40 dB down to something more comfortable?
Given:
D1 = 2.0 m
B1 = 120 dB
D2 = x
B2 = 80 dB
Find x. I decided I could use the inverse square law. As the distance increases, the energy decreases in proportion to the distance squared.

[tex]\frac{B1}{B2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{D2^2}{D1^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{120}{80}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]
x= sqrt((120*4)/80) = 2.4495 m.

In order to hear 40 dB less, I need to walk 2.4495 m from my current distance. The total distance I stand from the chipper is 2 +2.4495 = 4.4495 m. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
B1/B2=D12/D22 only works if all four values are measured on a linear scale. Since the decibel scale is logarithmic, it doesn't work.

40 decibel is 4 bels, which corresponds to a factor of 10^4=10000. So the sound needs to be 10 000 times quieter. Now you can use that formula, but don't add your initial distance to D2. D2 is already the listener's distance from the sound source.

I'm sorry I don't understand how what you have told me allows me to use the inverse square law, so I will try it using the normal equations. However, thanks for pointing out that I do not have to add the D1 and D2. You say 104=10000 will allow me to use my inverse square law. I understand that you're saying that because 10 to the power of something relates to log. When you say 10log(something), it equals that something. However, I don't see how a conversion to bells in this manner helps. Thanks, though.

Using B = 10log(I/Io)

120dB = 10log(I/(1x10-12)
I = 1 W/m2

4-1.jpg

80 = 10 log(I/10-12) = 10-4 W/m2
120 = 10 log(I/10-12) = 1 W/m2

P = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]*r2
P = 4[tex]\pi[/tex]*22 = 50.27

r = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{P}{I*4*\pi}}[/tex]
r = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{50.27}{I*4*\pi}}[/tex] = 200 m

What is the formula for finding D2?

The formula for finding D2 is D2 = (D1 * (10^((B1-B2)/20)))^(1/2).

What does B1 and B2 represent?

B1 represents the initial sound level at distance D1, while B2 represents the desired sound level at distance D2.

What is the unit of measurement for D1 and D2?

D1 and D2 are typically measured in meters (m).

Can this formula be used for any type of sound?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of sound as long as the initial sound level and desired sound level are measured in decibels (dB).

What other factors should be considered when using this formula?

Other factors that should be considered include the direction of the sound source, the environment in which the sound is being measured, and any potential obstacles or barriers that may affect the sound level.