Calculating Displacement with Negative Work

In summary, the conversation discusses finding displacement when negative work is applied, using formulas to calculate acceleration and force, and understanding the direction of displacement when negative work is involved. The final solution is 7.5m towards the right.
Red_CCF
I'm trying to figure out how to find the displacement when negative work is applied. I made the question myself so it could not make any sense at all, I'm just trying to understand a concept on my own.

Homework Statement

A car (2000kg) is moving at constant velocity at 4m/s to the right. It slows down to 1m/s in a time of 3s when an external force is applied against the car to the left. What is the displacement of the negative work?

Homework Equations

a=change in velocity/time
F=ma
W=Fd
Ek=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formulas I get an acceleration of -1m/s^2 (or 1m/s^2 left). This must mean that the force that opposes the motion of the car is -2000N (or 2000N left). The initial kinetic energy of the car is 16000J and the final kinetic energy is 1000J. The change in kinetic energy is 15000J so the work against the motion is -15000J? If so then the displacement is 7.5m? Would the displacement be positive or negative?

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did it correct, but you are off by a factor of 0.1. So recheck your calculations.

Negative work implies that the force vector and displacement vector colinear with the force vector are in opposite directions. If the force acting on the car is directed to the left in the negative direction, then the displacement must be to the ____? Or from a practical sense, while the car, moving initially to the right, then starts to slow down, in which direction is it moving (displacing) during that slowing down period?

PhanthomJay said:
Negative work implies that the force vector and displacement vector colinear with the force vector are in opposite directions. If the force acting on the car is directed to the left in the negative direction, then the displacement must be to the ____? Or from a practical sense, while the car, moving initially to the right, then starts to slow down, in which direction is it moving (displacing) during that slowing down period?

If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, then the displacement must be towards the right, or am I tricking myself here because the object is accelerating to the left.

Red_CCF said:
If the force and displacement are in opposite directions, then the displacement must be towards the right, or am I tricking myself here because the object is accelerating to the left.
You are indeed correct!

Hootenanny said:
You are indeed correct!

Thanks! This was a confusing thing to wrap my head around because it's like pushing an object left but moving it right

Red_CCF said:
Thanks! This was a confusing thing to wrap my head around because it's like pushing an object left but moving it right
A good analogy to think about is when you're driving. If you press the brake pedal, then a force acts in the opposite direction of motion, slowing you down, but you are still moving forward.

rock.freak667 said:
You did it correct, but you are off by a factor of 0.1. So recheck your calculations.

I fixed my error. So the actual answer should be 7.5m towards the right?

1. How is displacement calculated using negative work?

Displacement can be calculated using the formula: displacement = force x distance x cosine(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the direction of the displacement. If the work done by the force is negative, the displacement will also be negative.

2. What is the meaning of negative work in displacement calculations?

Negative work means that the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This can occur when the force is acting against the direction of motion, or when the displacement is in the opposite direction of the force applied. In other words, the force is doing work to decrease the displacement instead of increasing it.

3. Can negative work result in a negative displacement?

Yes, negative work can result in a negative displacement. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the applied force. For example, if a person pushes a box to the left with a force of 10 Newtons, but the box moves to the right, the displacement would be negative and the work done by the person would be negative.

4. How is negative work represented on a displacement vs. time graph?

Negative work is represented by a line below the x-axis on a displacement vs. time graph. This indicates that the displacement is decreasing over time, as the force is acting against the direction of motion.

5. Can negative work affect the overall displacement of an object?

Yes, negative work can affect the overall displacement of an object. If the object experiences negative work, it will have a smaller displacement than if it had experienced positive work. This is because the force is acting against the direction of motion, causing the displacement to decrease.