Does Hubble's law implies accelerated expansion?

In summary, the expansions of the universe is currently accelerating due to the presence of Dark Matter and Energy.
LedPhoton
I`ve read that the universes expansion is accelerating. To explain this we have introduced concept of Dark matter and energy.
However, Hubble's law: v = H*d means that a speed that separates two points is proportional to their distance. But since they are moving apart the distance becomes greater and so the speed must become greater. I think this means the speed of expansion is increasing. So the expansion of the universe is accelerating.
I`m sure I`ve got something wrong here, is the acceleration we explain with Dark energy a "surplus"?
Hope I made myself clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you are confusing yourself by thinking of the rate of expansion as a speed. It's not. It's a percentage per unit time, approximately H = 0.007% per million years.

No. It is just saying that universe is expanding. It says nothing about universes acceleration or deacceleration of expansion throughout time.

There are a number of subtlies underlying the answer to your question.

Observations and measurements in 1998 surprised most scientists, including those doing the work, finding the expansion of the universe is currently accelerating , although the Hubble factor is still decreasing over time.

The Hubble "constant" is not really constant varing with time according to your choice of cosmological model.

Try as a starter: https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2413312
and New Wrights tutorial and FAQ: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

Last edited by a moderator:
But since they are moving apart the distance becomes greater and so the speed must become greater. I think this means the speed of expansion is increasing.
Exactly. What you describe here is the case of a constant Hubble parameter, which is equivalent to exponential acceleration.
In a non-accelerating universe the Hubble parameter will be proportinal to 1/t. Distance d = v*t, v=const -> H = d/v ~ 1/t.

1. What is Hubble's law?

Hubble's law is a fundamental principle in cosmology that states that the further away a galaxy is from Earth, the faster it is moving away from us. It is based on the observation that the light from distant galaxies is redshifted, indicating that they are moving away from us.

2. How does Hubble's law relate to the expansion of the universe?

Hubble's law is evidence of the expansion of the universe. The faster a galaxy is moving away from us, the further it is from us, indicating that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

3. Does Hubble's law imply accelerated expansion?

Yes, according to current observations and calculations, Hubble's law does imply that the expansion of the universe is accelerating. This was first discovered in the late 1990s through observations of distant supernovae.

4. What is the significance of accelerated expansion?

The discovery of accelerated expansion has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there is a mysterious force, known as dark energy, that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. This force makes up a large portion of the universe, but its exact nature is still unknown.

5. Are there any alternative explanations for Hubble's law and accelerated expansion?

While Hubble's law and accelerated expansion are currently the most widely accepted explanations for the observations, there are alternative theories that have been proposed. These include modifications to the laws of gravity or the possibility of a large-scale void in the universe. However, these theories are still being studied and do not have as much supporting evidence as the current theory of dark energy.