Analytical Solution to Poisson's Equation

In summary, Poisson's Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the distribution of electric potential based on the distribution of electric charges in a space. The analytical solution to this equation is obtained by solving the differential equation using techniques such as separation of variables and integration. It has various applications in physics and engineering, but it is limited to simple and idealized systems. In more complex cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solution.
rugabug
I have the equation del^2 phi =1 for 2-d (x and y) with the boundary condition being 0 along all 4 edges. I've looked in all my math books and can't find how to solve this. If anyone could get me started I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u= phi(x,y)- (1/2)x2. Then del2u= del2phi- 1= 0. The boundary conditions get a little complicated but it can be done as a Fourier series.

My experience with Fourier series is extremely limited and your hint doesn't mean anything to me.

1. What is Poisson's Equation?

Poisson's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the distribution of electric potential in a given space based on the distribution of electric charges within that space. It is often used in physics and engineering to solve for the electric potential in a system.

2. What is the analytical solution to Poisson's Equation?

The analytical solution to Poisson's Equation is a mathematical expression that provides the exact solution for the electric potential in a given system. It is obtained by solving the differential equation that represents Poisson's Equation using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and integration.

3. How is the analytical solution to Poisson's Equation derived?

The analytical solution to Poisson's Equation is derived by solving the differential equation using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, integration, and boundary conditions. This process involves manipulating the equation to isolate the electric potential and then integrating to obtain the final solution.

4. What are the applications of the analytical solution to Poisson's Equation?

The analytical solution to Poisson's Equation has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to determine the electric potential in a system, which is essential for understanding and designing electronic devices, circuits, and systems. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer.

5. Are there any limitations to the analytical solution to Poisson's Equation?

While the analytical solution to Poisson's Equation provides an exact solution for the electric potential in a system, it is limited to simple and idealized systems. In more complex systems with irregular geometries and boundary conditions, it may not be possible to find an analytical solution. In such cases, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.