Effect of thickness on heat transfer/insulation

In summary, this researcher is trying to figure out the effect that changing the thickness of insulation has on cooling curves. They need some theory to compare the results to. A place where this researcher could find this information is the Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer by Incropera and Dewitt.
Canuck156
Hi,

I'm currently doing an experiment to investigate the effect that changing the thickness of insulation has on cooling curves. However, I do need some theory to compare the results to. Does anyone know anywhere that I could find such information, or actually know themselves what effect changing the thickness should have?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
heat conduction

Perhaps this will get you started. In general, the rate of heat transfer by conduction is inversely proportional to the thickness of the material:
[tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = \frac{k A \Delta T}{d}[/tex]
where ΔQ/Δt is the rate of heat flow, ΔT is the temperature difference, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the area, and d is the thickness.

(Do a web search on heat conduction to find plenty more information.)

Thanks.

Does this mean that if all variables are kept constant except for the thickness of the insulation, and the temperature inside the insulated area is modeled by [tex]T_{n}=T_{O}\times{e}^-^k^n[/tex] (The insulated area is heated up, and then the air is allowed to cool) that k will by directly proportional to the thickness?

How would you simoustaneously maintain both ΔQ/Δt and ΔT constant?

Gonzolo said:
How would you simoustaneously maintain both ΔQ/Δt and ΔT constant?
In the summer, with air conditioning.

edit: To make that sound a little less snide, let me explain. Obviously, if you don't have air conditioning, the air in your house will slowly increase its temperature to match the outside temperature: ΔT decrease to zero and ΔQ/Δt will follow. On the most basic level, the purpose of an air conditioner is to maintain a ΔT between inside and outside. Constant ΔT and ΔQ/Δt requires an another term: another ΔQ/Δt. Energy enters your house through the wall and leaves your house through the air conditioner.

Last edited:
Sorry, I think that what I said was not exactly what I meant. By keeping 'all other variables' constant, I meant that I would keep k and A constant, while varying d.

Sorry for the confusion.

Another question regarding the modelling of this situation:

If two different materials were used, (ie. 1 layer of material A, and 1 layer of material B, pressed together) as the barrier, how would the equation [tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = \frac{k A \Delta T}{d}[/tex] need to be modified to compensate for that?

composite layers

For two slabs of material:
[tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = \frac{A \Delta T}{d_A/k_A + d_B/k_B}[/tex]

Thanks, that helps a lot. Is there an internet site or book that contains information on dual layer conduction? I've been looking but I haven't been able to find one.

Last edited:
Canuck156 said:
Thanks, that helps a lot. Is there an internet site or book that contains information on dual layer conduction? I've been looking but I haven't been able to find one.

Reference the Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer by Incropera and Dewitt.

It gets confusing sometimes...When composite slabs are involved.If 2 or 3 slabs are involved then it won't be a problem.But I had encountered some really tough problems on this.So I think the best thing to do is to find somekid of anology btw Electric circuts and the Slab-Systems...

So by putting R=d/kA,where R is Thermal resistance.
Then everything is like that of Eletric circuits...Ohms law holds good for thermal conduction also.

Ok, I understand how to do that now, but I basically now have two formulas. From my experimentation I have:
[tex]T_{t}=T_{Difference}\times{e}^-^k^t[/tex], where [tex]TT_{Difference}[/tex] is the initial difference in temperature, and [tex]T_{t}[/tex] is the difference after t seconds.
and from the theory I have:
[tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = \frac{A \Delta T}{d_A/k_A + d_B/k_B}[/tex]

I am trying to find a mathematical relationship between the value of k in formula one, and the value of DQ/Dt in the second equation. Is it possible to do this using something like:
dQ/dt=dQ/dT*DT/dt, or am i on the wrong track?

Thanks.

1. How does increasing the thickness of an insulating material affect heat transfer?

Increasing the thickness of an insulating material typically decreases the rate of heat transfer. This is because a thicker material provides more resistance to the flow of heat, making it more difficult for heat to pass through.

2. Is there a limit to the thickness of an insulating material for optimal heat transfer reduction?

Yes, there is a limit to the thickness of an insulating material for optimal heat transfer reduction. Beyond a certain thickness, the material may become too bulky and impractical for use, and the additional benefits of increased thickness may become negligible.

3. How does the type of insulation affect the impact of thickness on heat transfer?

The type of insulation can greatly affect the impact of thickness on heat transfer. Different materials have varying thermal conductivities and heat transfer properties, so the optimal thickness for reducing heat transfer may vary depending on the type of insulation used.

4. Does the temperature difference between the two sides of the insulation affect the impact of thickness on heat transfer?

Yes, the temperature difference between the two sides of the insulation can affect the impact of thickness on heat transfer. In general, a larger temperature difference will result in a greater rate of heat transfer, so thicker insulation may be needed to reduce heat transfer effectively in this scenario.

5. Can the thickness of insulation be adjusted to control the amount of heat transfer in a specific area?

Yes, adjusting the thickness of insulation can be an effective way to control the amount of heat transfer in a specific area. By increasing or decreasing the thickness, the resistance to heat flow can be adjusted to meet the desired level of insulation. This is commonly utilized in building and home insulation to regulate indoor temperatures.