How Do Conductivity and Permittivity Relate in Electromagnetic Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to driving the equation ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω) and clarifies the definitions of the different types of currents involved. It is confirmed that the approach is valid and should lead to the desired result.
andyJ
Hi,

I am trying to drive this famous equation: ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω)

First the regular solution:
J=∂P/∂t→In Fourier domain→J=iωP(ω)=iω{D(ω)-ε_0*E(ω)}; then replace J with σ(ω)*E(ω) and rearrange to reach the result

What makes me puzzle is we know that J_external is equal to σ(ω)*E(ω) but in foregoing solution I used J_internal which is is equal to ∂P/∂t

Here are definitions for all types of currents:
  • J_total = -ε_0*∂E/∂t
  • J_external = -∂D/∂t
  • J_internal = ∂P/∂t

and
J_total = J_external + J_internal.

If the above definitions are correct then I can not drive ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω)

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to driving the equation ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω). However, I think there may be a misunderstanding with the definitions of the different types of currents.

First, let's clarify the meaning of J_total, J_external, and J_internal. J_total represents the total current within a material, which is the sum of both the external and internal currents. J_external refers to the current that is generated by external sources, such as an applied electric field. On the other hand, J_internal represents the current that is generated by the material itself, due to the motion of charges within the material.

Now, let's look at the equation J=∂P/∂t. This equation is known as the continuity equation, which relates the current density (J) to the rate of change of polarization (P) in a material. This equation is valid for both the internal and external currents, as they both contribute to the total current density.

When you take this equation into the Fourier domain, you get J=iωP(ω). This equation is still valid for both the internal and external currents, as it is simply a transformation to a different domain.

Next, you replace J with σ(ω)*E(ω) and rearrange to reach the result ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω). This step is also valid, as you are simply substituting the current density with the appropriate expression for the current (σ(ω)*E(ω)).

Therefore, your approach is correct and you should be able to drive the equation ε_r(ω) = 1 + iσ(ω)/(ε_0*ω). I hope this helps to clarify any confusion. Keep up the good work!

What is conductivity?

Conductivity refers to the ability of a material to conduct electricity. It is a measure of how easily electrons can flow through a material.

What is permittivity?

Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric field. It is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an electric field.

What is the relationship between conductivity and permittivity?

Conductivity and permittivity are closely related. In general, materials with high conductivity also have high permittivity. This means that they are good at conducting electricity and storing electric fields.

How are conductivity and permittivity measured?

Conductivity is typically measured in units of siemens per meter (S/m) or mho per meter (mho/m). Permittivity is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m). These measurements can be obtained through various experimental techniques such as the four-point probe method or dielectric spectroscopy.

What are some examples of materials with high conductivity and permittivity?

Metals such as copper and silver have high conductivity and permittivity. Additionally, materials such as water, glass, and certain polymers also have high permittivity and moderate to high conductivity.