Latex: Get Straight Integral Sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Latex for typesetting technical documents and the desire for a straight integral sign, similar to that in Mathtype software. The solution is to use the \varint command from the wasysym package to achieve the desired symbol. An example is provided for clarification.
n.karthick
I am using Latex for typesetting technical document. The default \int command produces the integral sign in somewhat slanting style. But I need the integral sign which look straight as I get in Mathtype software. Even though one may feel, why can't I just accept the default style of integral sign in Latex, out of curiosity, i want to know how can I make Latex to get my desired integral sign.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi n.karthick,

n.karthick said:
I am using Latex for typesetting technical document. The default \int command produces the integral sign in somewhat slanting style. But I need the integral sign which look straight as I get in Mathtype software. Even though one may feel, why can't I just accept the default style of integral sign in Latex, out of curiosity, i want to know how can I make Latex to get my desired integral sign.

You can use \varint from the wasysym package; for example the following has both types of integral symbols:

Code:
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{wasysym} 

\begin{document}

\begin{equation}
\varint_a^b  dx\ x^2 \qquad \int_a^b  dx\ x^2
\end{equation}

\end{document}

1. What is the purpose of the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in Latex?

The "Get Straight Integral Sign" in Latex is used to represent the mathematical integral symbol, which denotes the antiderivative or the area under a curve in calculus.

2. How do I insert the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in my Latex document?

To insert the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in your Latex document, you can use the command \int or \int_{}^{}, depending on whether you want to add limits to the integral or not.

3. Can I change the size of the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in Latex?

Yes, you can change the size of the "Get Straight Integral Sign" by using the commands \bigint, \bigint, or \Bigint, which will produce larger integral symbols.

4. What are the different forms of the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in Latex?

The "Get Straight Integral Sign" can be represented in different forms, such as the definite integral, indefinite integral, multiple integrals, and contour integrals, among others. Each form has a specific notation and usage in mathematics.

5. Are there any packages or extensions that can enhance the "Get Straight Integral Sign" in Latex?

Yes, there are several packages and extensions available in Latex that can enhance the "Get Straight Integral Sign." Some examples include the amsmath package, which provides additional integral symbols, and the esint package, which offers a different style of the integral symbol.