Instantaneous Unit Conversion between CGS and SI units

In summary, the equation for instantaneous radiated power in CGS units of erg/(sec rad cm) is used for determining the power of synchrotron radiation emitted from a particle beam. However, there is a different equation in SI units that can also be used for this purpose. Some confusion may arise as some sources use the same equation for both units.
KJ4EPE
In doing some research, I cam across an equation for instantaneous radiated power, with the CGS units "erg/(sec rad cm)", rad being radians (not rad the unit for radiation exposure). Try as I might, I'm not able to come up with a way to convert it to the SI units for watts. Does anyone know where I might find the information about this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi KJ4EPE! :smile:

Are you sure this is power? erg/(sec rad cm) looks more like some form of intensity …

there's a useful table of intensities and radiances at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics)"

but I can't see anything there equivalent to erg/(sec rad cm) :confused:

(and I'd expect steradian instead of radian … erg/(sec rad cm) looks to me cylindrical rather than spherical … is this for a "cylindrical" transmitter?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually it is! It's for determining the power of synchrotron radiation emitted from a particle beam, essentially the relativistic form of the Larmor formula. But anyway, someone at work was able to point me in the direction of a different equation in SI units, and the results seem to be reasonable. I was confused cause one of the books I was using this morning used the same equation for both SI and CGS units, and I had a hard time figuring out what to use.

1. What are CGS and SI units?

CGS (centimeter-gram-second) and SI (International System of Units) are two different systems of measurement used in science and engineering. CGS units are based on the centimeter for length, the gram for mass, and the second for time, while SI units are based on the meter for length, the kilogram for mass, and the second for time.

2. Why do we need to convert between CGS and SI units?

While SI units are the preferred system of measurement in most scientific fields, some older experiments and equations still use CGS units. Converting between the two systems allows for consistency and accuracy in calculations and data analysis.

3. What is the conversion factor between CGS and SI units?

The conversion factor for length is 1 cm = 0.01 m, for mass is 1 g = 0.001 kg, and for time is 1 s = 1 s. However, it is important to note that other units, such as force and energy, have different conversion factors between CGS and SI units.

4. How do I convert from CGS to SI units?

To convert from CGS to SI units, simply multiply the value in CGS units by the appropriate conversion factor. For example, to convert 10 cm to meters, you would multiply 10 by 0.01, giving you a result of 0.1 m.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to assist with unit conversions?

Yes, there are many online unit conversion calculators and charts available for free. Additionally, most scientific calculators have the ability to convert between CGS and SI units. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of the conversion factors and to practice converting between the two systems.