Intel Manufacturing Technician good prior experience for aspiring EE?

In summary, the individual holds an AAS degree in Electronics Engineering Technology and is currently working towards a BS in EET. They are considering taking a Manufacturing Technician job at Intel in order to gain relevant experience and support their family. The job offers tuition reimbursement and the opportunity to work with real-world electronics.
EE_ROB
Hello All,
I currently hold an AAS degree in Electronics Engineering Technology (EET) and am working towards a BS in EET with an option to take the remaining classes needed to get a post bacc degree in EE. Both programs are ABET accredited, and the school I attend is part of the state university system. It will take me about 3 more years to get the EE degree. The program is set up for working proffessionals (hence the round about way of getting the EE) so classes are at night allowing me to work during the day to support my family, however my current job has absolutely nothing to do with electronics. So now that i have explained my background my question is:

Is it worth my time to take a Manufacturing Technician job at Intel? Will having that experience help me when I graduate and start to look for jobs as an EE?

Because I need to work during the day to support my family I may not be able to find an internship that meets my needs so I am wondering if this is an opportunity I should jump on.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I say go for it, I just did. It will give you a great name to put on your resume. The pay is pretty decent, and Intel has tuition reimbursement. Plus you get to play with all the toys you've learned about in school in an industry situation.

1. What does an Intel Manufacturing Technician do?

An Intel Manufacturing Technician is responsible for operating and maintaining the equipment used in the production of computer chips. This includes troubleshooting issues, conducting quality control checks, and ensuring that the manufacturing process runs smoothly and efficiently.

2. What kind of experience is considered good prior experience for an aspiring EE?

Good prior experience for an aspiring EE would include hands-on experience with electronic circuits, components, and systems. This could be gained through internships, projects, or courses in electronics and electrical engineering.

3. Is prior experience necessary for a career as an Intel Manufacturing Technician?

Prior experience is not always necessary, but it can be very beneficial. Many employers prefer candidates with some hands-on experience or a relevant educational background in order to ensure they have the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in the role.

4. What skills are important for an Intel Manufacturing Technician?

Some important skills for an Intel Manufacturing Technician include attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge of electronic systems, and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other technicians and engineers.

5. How can I prepare for a career as an Intel Manufacturing Technician?

To prepare for a career as an Intel Manufacturing Technician, you can take courses in electronics, gain hands-on experience through internships or projects, and familiarize yourself with the equipment and processes used in the production of computer chips. It can also be helpful to develop skills in troubleshooting and problem-solving, as well as strong communication and teamwork skills.