What is the Probability Distribution Function for Total Rotten Fruit?

• Thread starter ouiouiwewe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the probability of z fruits being rotten can be calculated by taking the average of all possible combinations of rotten apples and oranges, which is represented by the sum of binomial distributions. Using the binomial expectation formula and the binomial expansion formula, we can simplify this to be \left(\frac{P(A)+P(O)}{2}\right)^z. The expectation of this probability can be derived by taking the average of the probabilities for each combination, which is \frac{P(A)+P(O)}{2}.
ouiouiwewe
Hi guys,

Here's a description of the problem:

Suppose we have x apples and y oranges where each apple has a probability pa to rot and each orange has a probability po to rot, then what's the pdf of the total number of fruit z being rotten.

This pdf looks like a product of two binomial distributions on the surface. However, since z = x+y, x >= 0, y >= 0, then it is actually necessary to sum over all combinations of scenarios (i.e. 6 fruit rotten = 3 apples rotten + 3 oranges rotten or 6 fruits rotten = 1 apple rotten + 5 oranges rotten).

By intuition, I worked out the expectation to be x*pa + y *po and it appears to be correct when I manually tested my problem on a spreadsheet. However, I am not quite sure how that expectation can be derived from this messy pdf.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The probability that z fruits will rot, is P(A)^0·P(O)^z+P(A)^1·P(O)^(z-1)+P(A)^2·P(O)^(z-2)+...+P(A)^z·P(O)^0

You could also write that as:
[tex]\sum^{z}_{k=0}P(A)^kP(O)^{z-k}[/tex]

Last edited:
This is close to the derivation I had, but instead of P(A)^[something] and P(O)^[something], I had two different binomial distributions. I have no problem getting the pdf, but I have trouble simplifying the expectation.

Are you familiar with this division?
[tex](a^n-b^n):(a-b)=a^{n-1}+a^{n-2}b+a^{n-3}b^2+\ldots+b^{n-1}[/tex]

I saw this sum in the derivation of the binomial expectation. Anyhow, this is what I have for the probability of having 2 rotten fruits:

prob of having 2 rotten apples * prob of having 0 rotten oranges
+
prob of having 1 rotten apple * prob of having 1 rotten orange
+
prob of having 0 rotten apples * prob of having 2 rotten oranges

This seems to be the product of two binomial distributions and then summed over all possible combinations.

(Ignore my first post, there are errors in it.)

Let's say you have 2 fruits. Then:
-Both fruits can be apples. The probability for those being rotten is P(A)2
-Fruit 1 can be apple, fruit 2 can be orange. The probability for those being rotten is P(A)·P(O)
-Fruit 1 can be orange, fruit 2 can be apple. The probability for those being rotten is P(A)·P(O)
-Both fruits can be oranges. The probability for those being rotten is P(O)2

Since we don't know how many fruits we have, the probability that both the fruits will rot, is the average of the probabilities above, which is:
(P(A)2+2 P(A)·P(O)+P(O)2)/4

The probability that z fruits will be rotten is:
[tex]\frac{\binom{z}{0}P(A)^zP(O)^0+\binom{z}{1}P(A)^{z-1}P(O)^1+\binom{z}{2}P(A)^{z-2}P(O)^2+\ldots+\binom{z}{z}P(A)^0P(O)^z}{2^z}[/tex]

This is exactly the same, but said in a shorter way:
[tex]\frac{\sum^{z}_{k=0}\binom{z}{k}P(A)^{z-k}P(O)^k}{2^z}[/tex]

By using this equation: [tex](a+b)^n=\binom{n}{0}a^nb^0+\binom{n}{1}a^{n-1}b^1+\binom{n}{2}a^{n-2}b^2+\ldots+\binom{n}{n}a^0b^n[/tex]

We get that:
[tex]\frac{\sum^{z}_{k=0}\binom{z}{k}P(A)^{z-k}P(O)^k}{2^z}=\frac{(P(A)+P(O))^z}{2^z}=\left(\frac{P(A)+P(O)}{2}\right)^z[/tex]

What is a product of two binomials?

A product of two binomials is a mathematical expression that results from multiplying two binomials together. It is written in the form of (a + b)(c + d) and can be expanded to form a polynomial expression.

How do you multiply two binomials?

To multiply two binomials, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This means multiplying the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. You can also use the distributive property to multiply each term in the first binomial by each term in the second binomial.

What are the properties of a product of two binomials?

The product of two binomials follows the commutative, associative, and distributive properties of multiplication. This means that the order of the binomials does not matter, you can group the binomials in any way, and you can distribute the multiplication across the terms.

How can you use the product of two binomials in real life?

The product of two binomials can be used in real life to represent the area of a rectangle or to solve problems involving two sets of data. It can also be used in economics and finance to calculate profits and losses.

What are some common mistakes when multiplying two binomials?

Some common mistakes when multiplying two binomials include forgetting to distribute the multiplication across all terms, mixing up the order of the terms, and making errors in the FOIL method. It is important to be careful and check your work to avoid these mistakes.