Optical scattering: Converting BRDF to PSD

In summary, to convert a BRDF to a PSD, S(fx,fy), you will need to use the equations for fx and fy to calculate the corresponding angles \theta_s and \phi_s for a given frequency. Alternatively, you can use the data for one angle of incidence to calculate the frequency components fx and fy, and then use these in the BRDF equation to calculate the BRDF for that frequency.
mudkip9001
edit: the TeX is still being screwy, not putting the equations in the right places. stay tuned.
editII: fixed, I think.

Homework Statement

I'm working on converting a BRDF to a PSD, S(fx,fy).

Homework Equations

In the book 'optical scatter: measurement and analysis', the BRDF is given as

[tex]BRDF(\theta_i,\theta_s,\phi_i)\propto S(f_x,f_y)[/tex]

where fx and fy are evaluated at:

[tex]f_x=\frac{\sin{\theta_s}\cos{\phi_s}-\sin{\theta_i}}{\lambda}[/tex][tex]f_y=\frac{\sin{\theta_s}\sin{\phi_s}}{\lambda}[/tex]

So

[tex]S(f_x,f_y) \propto BRDF(\theta_i,\theta_s,\phi_i)[/tex]

I'm confused as to what angles correspond to what frequencies. i.e, what values for the angles should I plug into the BRDF for any given frequencies..

The Attempt at a Solution

It's probably quite simple, the book makes no mention of it, but my brain is failing me, I don't even know where to start. For example, the data I have is for only one angle of incidence, so that will be fixed, but fx is a function of two varialbles (theta and phi), so I can't just solve for [tex]\theta_s[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and \phi_s.

Hi there,

It sounds like you are on the right track! The angles \theta_s and \phi_s correspond to the direction of scattered light, while \theta_i and \phi_i correspond to the direction of incident light. So, in order to calculate the BRDF for a given frequency, you will need to know the angles of incidence and scattering for that frequency.

One way to do this is to use the equations for fx and fy that you provided. These equations relate the angles \theta_s and \phi_s to the frequency components fx and fy. So, for a given frequency, you can use these equations to calculate the corresponding angles \theta_s and \phi_s. Then, you can plug these values into the BRDF equation to calculate the BRDF for that frequency.

Another way to approach this is to use the data you have for only one angle of incidence. Since the angle of incidence is fixed, you can use this data to calculate the frequency components fx and fy for that angle. Then, you can use these frequency components in the BRDF equation to calculate the BRDF for that frequency.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is optical scattering?

Optical scattering is the process by which light is scattered in different directions when it interacts with a material. This can occur due to variations in the refractive index, surface roughness, or chemical composition of the material.

What is BRDF?

BRDF stands for Bidirectional Reflectance Distribution Function. It is a mathematical function that describes the amount of light reflected in a particular direction from a surface when illuminated from a certain direction.

What is PSD?

PSD stands for Power Spectral Density. It is a measure of the distribution of spatial frequencies in a surface's roughness profile. In other words, it describes the roughness of a surface in terms of the different scales of features present.

Why is it important to convert BRDF to PSD?

Converting BRDF to PSD allows us to better understand the physical properties of a material's surface, such as its roughness and composition. This information can then be used to optimize surface properties for specific applications, such as reducing glare or improving light absorption.

How is BRDF converted to PSD?

The conversion from BRDF to PSD involves using mathematical equations and algorithms to extract the roughness information from the BRDF data. This can be done using software programs, such as MATLAB or Python, or through manual calculations using specialized formulas.