I have a set of numbers, how do I go about proving they form a field

In summary, the individual set of numbers does not form a field. A field is a set of objects with two operations, addition and multiplication, that must satisfy various laws. These include commutativity and associativity for both operations, existence of an identity element for both operations, and existence of inverses for all elements except 0. The concept of "symmetry down the leading diagonal" does not apply in this context.
andrey21
I have a set of numbers, how do I go about proving they form a field

Heres what I know

It has to be commutative under addition, which should give symmetry down the leading diagonal, which it does. What else must I show??

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand what you are talking about. A "set of numbers"? That doesn't form a field- a single set is not a field. A field is a set of objects (which might or might not be numbers) together with two binary operations called "+" and "*". They must satisfy several laws:
1) They form a commutative group with addition (so, yes, commutative under addition but also associative, there exist an additive identity (0), and every member has an additive inverse.
2) Multiplication is commutative and associative and the distributive law holds. There is a multiplicative identity land every element except 0 (the additive identity) has a multiplicative inverse.

I have no idea what you mean by "symmetry down the leading diagonal". Are you referring to a diagonal in the additive or multiplcative tables? If so, that is just saying "commutative" again.

Yes sorry I didn't word the question very well. I do have two tables for "+" and "*". In the + table is does have symmetry down the leading diagonal, so that is commutative. There does exist a zero, what do you mean by additive inverse?

1. How do I determine if my set of numbers forms a field?

To determine if a set of numbers forms a field, you need to check if it satisfies the two main properties of a field: closure under addition and multiplication, and the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses for every element. Additionally, you should also check if the field follows the distributive property.

2. What is the significance of closure under addition and multiplication in a field?

Closure under addition and multiplication means that when you add or multiply any two elements in the set, the result will also be in the set. This property is important because it ensures that the set is closed and the operations will always give a valid result.

3. How do I prove the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses in a field?

To prove the existence of additive and multiplicative inverses in a field, you need to show that for every element in the set, there exists an element that when added or multiplied with it gives the identity element (0 for addition, 1 for multiplication). This can be done through algebraic manipulation and solving for the inverse element.

4. Can a set of numbers be a field if it does not follow the distributive property?

No, the distributive property is one of the defining properties of a field. If a set of numbers does not follow this property, then it cannot be considered a field. It is important to check for the distributive property when proving that a set of numbers forms a field.

5. Are all sets of numbers fields?

No, not all sets of numbers form fields. A set must satisfy all the properties of a field to be considered a field. For example, the set of natural numbers (1, 2, 3, etc.) is not a field because it does not have additive and multiplicative inverses for all elements. Only certain sets, such as the real numbers, rational numbers, and complex numbers, form fields.