CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in Water

In summary, the dissolved oxygen capacity of the water, the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water, and the concentrations of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the air all play a role in determining whether oxygen or carbon dioxide will be deposited into the water.
ScottBurton
I hate to come across as a complete novice, but I am struggling with understanding this.

I have found resources for the dissolved oxygen capacity of fresh and salt water based on pressure and temperature. I've also found many resources that infer how this process works, but I am not sure I'm 'getting it'

What determines whether air passing through a body of water gives up CO2 or O2 to the water and vice versa. Is it simply a matter of the DO capacity of the water versus the amount of DO in the water?

I know if there an animal breathing in the water, they are turning DO to CO2 in the water (in simple terms), and likewise if there is a plant photosynthesizing in the water, it is (generally) putting more dissolved oxygen into the water than it is producing CO2.

(Yes, I realize that technically plants both make and consume oxygen and CO2, but they typically produce more oxygen than CO2, and consume more CO2 than Oxygen)

Thank you everyone.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, the dissolved oxygen capacity of the water and the amount of dissolved oxygen that is already present in the water play a major role in determining whether air passing through the water will deposit oxygen or carbon dioxide into the water. The amount of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the air is also very important in this process. When the oxygen concentration in the air is higher than the oxygen concentration in the water, some of the oxygen in the air will dissolve into the water. Likewise, when the carbon dioxide concentration in the air is higher than the carbon dioxide concentration in the water, some of the carbon dioxide in the air will dissolve into the water.

What is the relationship between CO2 and Dissolved Oxygen in water?

The relationship between CO2 and Dissolved Oxygen in water is an inverse one. As the level of CO2 increases, the amount of Dissolved Oxygen decreases, and vice versa. This is because CO2 reacts with water to form carbonic acid, which can then release hydrogen ions and decrease the pH of the water. This decrease in pH makes it more difficult for oxygen to dissolve in the water, resulting in lower levels of Dissolved Oxygen.

Why is it important to monitor CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water?

Monitoring CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water is important because it can have significant impacts on aquatic ecosystems. Changes in the levels of CO2 and Dissolved Oxygen can affect the growth and survival of aquatic organisms, as well as the overall water quality. Additionally, understanding these levels can also provide insights into the health of the surrounding environment and potential sources of pollution.

What factors can influence CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water?

There are several factors that can influence CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water. These include temperature, salinity, and atmospheric pressure. Higher temperatures and salinity levels can decrease the solubility of oxygen in water, while higher atmospheric pressures can increase it. Additionally, human activities such as pollution and nutrient runoff can also impact these levels.

How does photosynthesis affect CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants and algae use sunlight to convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and glucose. In aquatic environments, this process can significantly impact CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen. During the day, photosynthesis can increase the levels of Dissolved Oxygen as it removes CO2 from the water. However, at night, when photosynthesis is not occurring, plants and algae consume oxygen through respiration, resulting in a decrease in Dissolved Oxygen levels.

What methods can be used to measure CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water?

There are several methods that can be used to measure CO2 exchange with Dissolved Oxygen in water. These include titration, colorimetry, and dissolved gas sensors. Titration involves adding a known amount of acid to a water sample and measuring the resulting pH to determine the amount of CO2 present. Colorimetry involves using a color-changing indicator to measure the amount of CO2. Dissolved gas sensors use electrodes to directly measure the levels of CO2 and Dissolved Oxygen in the water. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the most appropriate one will depend on the specific research or monitoring goals.