What did my microphone record?

• Thread starter IRL303
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving placing a cassette tape in front of a speaker and a microphone behind it, hooked up to an oscilloscope. The microphone was set to record when it detected sound and a frequency was run from 30Hz to 200Hz. The resulting waveform was analyzed and found to be a mixture of a distorted sine wave and a more level one. The participants then discuss the possibility of this recording being the frequency response of the speaker and microphone system, and the potential impact of room acoustics on audio quality.
IRL303
Hi gang.

I wanted to see what would happen if I placed a cassette tape in-front of a speaker then a microphone behind the cassette which was hooked up to a oscilloscope. The mic was set to record when it detected sound. So I turned the mic on and ran a frequency from 30Hz to 200Hz right around 80Hz the mic activated and the oscilloscope starts to move. Around 100Hz its really moving. After it was done I looked at what it had recored in a program called wavepad and sure enough there was a waveform. In some places of the waveform there was a very crude looking sine wave that was distorted but, in other places it was very level and the up and down parts of the wave matched perfect.

So I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me what I recorded. I thought maybe it was just the test tone from the speaker the mic was picking up but the oscillator would of picked it up straight away as soon as I pressed play as would of the mic. I would be very greatful if someone could tell me what is going on... If anything?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely clear on your experimental setup, but...

If what you got was a reasonable sound/shape that increased in volume as you raised the frequency, I think what you recorded was the frequency response of the speaker and mic. If you got something that ramped up and then back down in volume as the frequency increased I'd say the peak would be at the resonance of the system.

Can you explain what you are doing and why a bit more?

Your average room is full of resonances. They are often quite 'broad' and your ears / brain edit out the frequency response when listening to stuff. At the same time, you get an impression of what the room is like - i.e. size, quantity of soft furnishings etc. from what your ears pick up (colouration). A loudspeaker and microphone combination include so such 'intelligence' and the microphone just picks up the sound, warts and all.

If you pay loadsa money and buy yourself a hugely expensive hi-fi system and play it in a room with no acoustic treatment (your bathroom?), you have, in many ways, wasted your money. The frequency response will be rubbish but your ears may hear an OK sound.

1. What is resonance and why is it important to record it?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which an object vibrates with a specific frequency at its natural or resonant frequency. It is important to record it because it can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of the object.

2. How do you know if you have recorded a resonance?

You can determine if you have recorded a resonance by analyzing the frequency spectrum of the recorded signal. A sharp peak in the spectrum at a specific frequency indicates resonance.

3. What are some common techniques used to record resonance?

Some common techniques used to record resonance include using a microphone and audio software to capture and analyze the sound, using a vibration sensor to measure the vibrations of an object, and using a laser interferometer to detect small changes in the length of an object due to resonance.

4. Can resonances be observed in all types of materials?

Yes, resonances can be observed in all types of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, the resonance frequency may vary depending on the material properties.

5. How can recording resonance be useful in scientific research?

Recording resonance can be useful in various scientific research fields, such as material science, structural engineering, and acoustics. It can provide insights into the properties and behavior of different materials and structures, and help in designing more efficient and stable systems.