Quantum numbers of atoms in a given state (number^number)letter

In summary, the quantum numbers for an atom in the state 42F are n=4, l=3, s=1/2, and j=7/2. The method for determining these numbers can be found by using the term symbol for the given state.
nicedazed
Quantum numbers of atoms in a given state "(number^number)letter"

Homework Statement

An atom is in the state 42F.

Write down the values of n,l,s and j.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

n=4
l=3

I'm having problems with s and j. I know j=l+s, does one have to take parity into account?

I'm not even sure that the 2 I attempted are correct.

If someone could just tell me the method of working out the different quantum numbers when given a state such as above it would help me a lot.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are quantum numbers and how do they relate to atoms in a given state?

Quantum numbers are numerical values that describe the energy levels and properties of electrons in an atom. They are used to identify the location and arrangement of electrons in an atom's electron cloud.

2. How are quantum numbers of atoms determined in a given state?

In order to determine the quantum numbers of atoms in a given state, scientists use mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics. These equations take into account the energy, position, and spin of electrons in an atom.

3. Can atoms have the same quantum numbers in different states?

No, atoms cannot have the same quantum numbers in different states. This is because each quantum number represents a specific property or characteristic of an electron, and no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers.

4. What is the significance of the letter in the quantum number notation?

The letter in the quantum number notation represents the type of orbital that the electron is located in. For example, "s" represents a spherical orbital, "p" represents a dumbbell-shaped orbital, "d" represents a clover-shaped orbital, and "f" represents a complex orbital.

5. Why do atoms have a limit to the number of electrons in each energy level?

This limit is due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle, which states that each electron in an atom must have a unique set of quantum numbers. As the energy levels get higher, there is less space available for electrons, resulting in a limit to the number of electrons that can occupy each level.