Estimation of 1000w heating element contact temperature

In summary, a user recently purchased a 1000w heating element for coffee cups and is wondering if a silicone cup can withstand direct contact with it. They have found that normal silicone can withstand temperatures up to 200 deg C and RTV silicone can withstand up to 300 deg C. They have also learned that a 240v AC source can boil a cup of water in 3-4 minutes, while a 110v AC source takes 15 minutes. The user is concerned that the element may get too hot and is considering purchasing a 500W element instead. They are using the element to boil water, not keep coffee warm. They have also mentioned a specific silicone cup they were planning on buying.
thydzik
Hi All

I recently purchased a 1000w heating element for coffee cups,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110668421004
that I will be using on a 240v AC source.

I would like to know if a cup out of silicone will withstand direct contact with the element?

From what I am reading normal silicone can last at about 200 deg C, RTV silicone possibly 300 deg C.

I have read 240v AC will boil a cup of water in 3-4 minutes, 110v AC will boil a cup in 15 minutes. If this information helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Almost certainly it will get a LOT hotter than 300 degrees...I'd bet close to a thousand degrees at the bottom of the cup...but the actual prediction depends on how fast heat is lost from the cup which depends on the heat conductivity of silicone and the cup, the surface area of cup,etc,etc and even the surrounding temperature of the room. With a cold enough room, the silicone might never get very hot.

I assume you are making coffee with an element that big, not trying to keep coffee warm. That's a lot of heat.

I have a 17 watt candle warmer next to my computer and that keeps my coffee warm while I fool around here on physicsforums! It's small power is helpful as I forget to shut it off as often as not!

thanks for the quick response,

I am starting to think I may have bought a too high power element.
thinking it would save boiling time.
Yes, I am trying to boil water.

lets assume about 350L (12oz)

what do you think a 500W element's temperature would be?

what I was initially planning on buying is this silicone cup
http://www.byocup.co.uk/

1. How does the material of the heating element affect its contact temperature?

The material of the heating element plays a crucial role in determining its contact temperature. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as copper, will allow for efficient transfer of heat and result in a higher contact temperature. On the other hand, materials with low thermal conductivity, such as stainless steel, will have a lower contact temperature as more heat is retained within the element itself.

2. Can the contact temperature of a heating element be accurately estimated?

Yes, the contact temperature of a heating element can be accurately estimated using mathematical equations and experimental data. However, it is important to note that the estimated temperature may vary slightly from the actual temperature due to factors such as surface roughness, material imperfections, and variations in heating element design.

3. What factors influence the contact temperature of a heating element?

The contact temperature of a heating element is influenced by several factors, including the material of the element, the surface area of contact, the power input, the ambient temperature, and the duration of heating. Other factors such as insulation, air flow, and surrounding materials can also affect the contact temperature.

4. How can the contact temperature of a heating element be measured?

The contact temperature of a heating element can be measured using specialized temperature sensors, such as thermocouples or infrared thermometers. The sensor should be placed in direct contact with the heating element to obtain an accurate reading.

5. What precautions should be taken when estimating the contact temperature of a heating element?

When estimating the contact temperature of a heating element, it is important to consider the limitations of the estimation method and the potential sources of error. It is also crucial to follow proper safety procedures and use protective equipment to avoid any accidents or injuries. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of the heating element and temperature sensors should be conducted to ensure accuracy and safety.