Infinitesimally small dielectric layers in a capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical calculation for a parallel plate capacitor with a varying dielectric constant. The goal is to calculate the capacitance of the system by using the D field and Gauss theorem. The conversation also mentions calculating the surface and volume polarisation charge densities, as well as the total polarisation charge density. The conversation ends with a question about the definition of surface polarisation charge density and the relationship between P and E vectors.
mitch_1211
I have a parallel plate capacitor with a dielectric inside whose relative permittivity varies as εr = βexp([itex]\alpha[/itex]x) [a theoretical calculation, I have not measured this directly]

Eventually I want to calculate the capacitance of the system. First I need to calculate the [itex]\overline{D}[/itex] field, to do this I am using [itex]\oint[/itex]S [itex]\overline{D}[/itex] . d[itex]\overline{s}[/itex] = qfree the result for a parallel plate capacitor is D = q/A with q being qfree again.

Now it can be shown that
[itex]\overline{D}[/itex] = εrε0[itex]\overline{E}[/itex] and from this [itex]\overline{E}[/itex] = D/ε0εr[*]

And this would be fine if the permittivity was constant.

My guess is to assume the dielectric is made up of many infinitesimally small dielectric's each with εr satisfying εr = βexp([itex]\alpha[/itex]x)

I know that an integral will give the sum of many infinitesimal 'pieces' but here is seems as if I have the total (which is the full dielectric) and i need to find each infinitesimal piece of dielectric such that εr = βexp([itex]\alpha[/itex]x) is satisfied for each.

Is that even possible? Will [*] then have an integral on the denominator in place of εr?

I have done a similar calculation for 2 different dielectrics, this seems an extension of this where each dielectric is infinitesimally small.

any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Just add together the results of sheets as they would be connected as a series

1/C=Ʃ_i Δx_i/ (ε_0 ε_r(x_i) A)

Taking the limit Δx_i -> 0

[itex] 1/C=\int_0^L dx/(ε_0 ε_r(x) A) [/itex]

where Δx_i is the thickness of one sheet, L is the distance between the plates and A is the area. Finally, you need to integrate the second equation and that is all.

Pi01 said:
Finally, you need to integrate the second equation and that is all.

Thanks a lot, I've derived an expression for the capacitance now. Any idea how i would go about calculating the surface polarisation charge density at the electrodes or the volume polarisation charge density through the dielectric?

And also i have a feeling that the total polarisation charge density is zero, however I'm not sure how i can prove this.

Thanks again :D

It is good to start with determining the D vector from the Gauss theorem. D is constant inside the device

D=Q/A,

where Q is the charge on the metal plate of the capacitor. Then, the electric field is

E(x)=D/( ε_0 ε_r(x) )

The polarization vector is

P(x)=ε_0 χ(x) E(x),

where χ(x)=ε_r(x)-1 is the susceptibility. Finally, the polarization charge density is given by

ρ_b(x)=-∂_x P(x)

The total polarization charge can be obtained by integrating ρ_b(x) for the total volume inside the capacitor. In my opinion that is non-zero since ε_r(x) is not the same near the two plates of the capacitor.

Good luck.

If i use the definition [itex]\oint[/itex]P.ds = -qpol is that the same as what you have written here?
Pi01 said:
ρ_b(x)=-∂_x P(x)

I'm not sure if that's a partial derivative or another quantity.

Is the surface polarisation charge density just the P vector?

P = χε0E

1. What is an infinitesimally small dielectric layer in a capacitor?

An infinitesimally small dielectric layer in a capacitor refers to a very thin layer of insulating material that is inserted between the conductive plates of a capacitor. This layer helps to increase the capacitance of the capacitor and allows for more charge to be stored.

2. How does an infinitesimally small dielectric layer affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The presence of an infinitesimally small dielectric layer increases the capacitance of a capacitor by a factor of the dielectric constant of the material used. This is because the layer reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for more charge to be stored.

3. What types of materials can be used as an infinitesimally small dielectric layer in a capacitor?

Common materials used as infinitesimally small dielectric layers include air, paper, plastic, and ceramic materials. The choice of material depends on the specific requirements of the capacitor, such as its operating voltage and temperature range.

4. How does the thickness of an infinitesimally small dielectric layer affect the performance of a capacitor?

The thickness of the dielectric layer can have a significant impact on the performance of a capacitor. A thinner layer can lead to a higher capacitance, but it may also decrease the breakdown voltage and increase the risk of short-circuiting. On the other hand, a thicker layer may have a lower capacitance but can handle higher voltages and reduce the risk of short-circuiting.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an infinitesimally small dielectric layer in a capacitor?

One potential drawback of using an infinitesimally small dielectric layer is the risk of dielectric breakdown. This can occur when the electric field between the plates becomes too high, causing the dielectric material to break down and short-circuit the capacitor. This can be mitigated by carefully selecting the thickness and material of the dielectric layer and operating the capacitor within its rated voltage range.