What is it that sets the speed limit of light?

In summary, there are discussions and FAQs about why the speed of light is the number it is, but there is limited information on what causes or sets this limit. The speed limit on national roads is caused by government legislation. Similarly, the speed of light is defined by us and has no underlying theory to predict it. The standard model is based on observations rather than first principles. The experimental basis for special relativity provides evidence for the speed of light.
Lino
There are quite a number of threads (and FAQ's) that discuss why the speed of light is the "number" that it is, but I'm having difficulty finding some information on what is causing, or setting, the limit. So, let me ask and answer a different question as an example of the what I am tryinh to find out here. Q: Why is the speed limit on our national roads the number it is? A: This number is caused by government / legislation that causes the speed limit to exist.

So, without a reference to a measurement or unit, what is it that causes the speed of light to exisit? If anyone can help / direction me to a relevant paper / article on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Noel.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're asking about why specifically the 299,792,458 m/s number is what it is, it's because we defined it that way. I'm always sketchy about the history/details, but we define SI units such that that is true.

If you're asking why, without reference to any units or numerical value, it is the way it is, it just is. We have no underlying theory that would predict the speed of light from some more fundamental concept.

As noted, we have no complete theory yet Just like we have no theory to predict the mass
nor the charges of any fundamental particles...All that stuff in the standard model is based
on observations rather than first principles.

Thanks all.

Naty1, any pointers observational evidence?

Regards,

Noel.

Lino said:
any pointers observational evidence?

About the speed of light? See the sticky post at the top of this forum, "Experimental Basis for Special Relativity."

Thanks JTbell. Much appreciated. It'll keep me (good) busy for a while!

What is it that sets the speed limit of light?

The speed limit of light is determined by the physical properties of the universe, specifically the fundamental constants of nature such as the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the Planck constant. These constants are universal and unchanging, and they dictate the maximum speed at which any object can travel.

Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, the speed of light is constant in a vacuum, meaning it does not change regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This is known as the principle of special relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905.

Why is the speed of light considered the ultimate speed limit?

The speed of light is considered the ultimate speed limit because it is the highest attainable speed in the universe. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the laws of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, there are some theories and experiments that suggest that certain particles, such as neutrinos, may be able to travel at speeds slightly faster than light, but this has yet to be proven.

How does the speed of light affect our daily lives?

The speed of light plays a crucial role in modern technology, such as in telecommunications and GPS systems. It also influences our understanding of the universe, as it is used to measure the distance between objects in space and to study the behavior of light in different environments.