Confusion over Einstein summation convention and metric tensors.

In summary, the Einstein Summation convention states that you sum over repeated indices. However, when looking at the metric tensor for a flat space, it should equal the trace of the matrix g_{μσ}. This can be thought of as the number of dimensions of the space (denoted by N). The question arises as to why it is equal to 1. One possible explanation is that g^{\rho}_{\mu} is not a summation, but rather indicates the components of the metric. Additionally, in a 3-dimensional space, the delta function can be equal to 1 or 0, depending on if i=j or not. However, this is different from \delta_{ii}, which is the actual summation
Lyalpha
My understanding of the Einstein Summation convention is that you sum over the repeated indices. But when I look at the metric tensor for a flat space I know that

g[itex]^{λ}_{λ}[/itex] = 1

But the summation convention makes me think that it should equal the trace of the matrix g_{μσ}. So it should be the number of dimensions of the space?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]g_{\alpha}^{\; \alpha} = N[/itex] where N is the dimension of the space. Why do you think it's 1?

A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex] = g[itex]^{μ \nu}[/itex]A[itex]_{μ}[/itex]

A[itex]_{μ}[/itex] = g[itex]_{μ\nu}[/itex]A[itex]^{\nu}[/itex]

A[itex]_{μ}[/itex] = g[itex]_{μ\nu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\nu\rho}[/itex]A[itex]_{\rho}[/itex]

g[itex]_{μ\nu}[/itex]g[itex]^{\nu\rho}[/itex] = g[itex]^{\rho}_{\mu}[/itex]

g[itex]^{\rho}_{\mu}[/itex] = 1 for μ = ρ

g[itex]^{\rho}_{\mu}[/itex] = 0 for μ [itex]\neq[/itex] ρ

taken from Dirac's book

Yes but [itex]g^{\rho}_{\mu}[/itex] is not a summation. It simply indicates what the components are. So it's saying when [itex]\rho = \mu[/itex], the component is 1, else it is 0. However, [itex]g^{\rho}_{\rho} = \sum^{N}_{\alpha = 1} g_{\alpha}^{\alpha}[/itex].

It's like how sometimes people get confused with the delta function [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex]. In a 3-dimensional space, you can have [itex]\delta_{ij} = 1[/itex] if [itex]i=j[/itex], else it is 0. However, this is different from [itex]\delta_{ii}[/itex] which is the actual summation which is equal to 3.

ok thanks

I asked the question because I'm getting g[itex]^{λ}_{λ}[/itex] after some contractions of a certain curvature tensor. For Example I have a term g[itex]^{μ}_{σ}[/itex] and I'm contracting the tensor by setting μ and σ to λ. The term will now equal the dimension D?

Yes it will equal D if you're contracting the metric in the way you asked. This is true only for the metric, however.

Last edited:
Not in general. If [itex]g_{\mu \nu } = \delta _{\mu \nu }[/itex] on the n - manifold in question then [itex]g^{\lambda }_{\lambda } = \delta ^{\lambda }_{\lambda } = n[/itex]. But this doesn't have to be true for arbitrary metrics on their respective manifolds.

WannabeNewton said:
Not in general. If [itex]g_{\mu \nu } = \delta _{\mu \nu }[/itex] on the n - manifold in question then [itex]g^{\lambda }_{\lambda } = \delta ^{\lambda }_{\lambda } = n[/itex]. But this doesn't have to be true for arbitrary metrics on their respective manifolds.

No, in general (at least in GR, I don't know about some really weird cases or w/e),

[tex]g^\mu_\nu=\delta^\mu_\nu[/tex]

This is because the contravariant metric must be the inverse of the covariant metric. The two must be inverses of each other or else you won't get the same vector back if you lower it's indices and then raise them.

The trace of the Kronecker delta is obviously the dimension, and therefore so is the trace of the (1,1) form of the metric.

WannabeNewton said:

No, in general it is true if [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] and [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] are inverses of each other. Remember, [itex]g_{a}^{a} = \sum_{i,j=1}^N g_{ij}g^{ij} =N[/itex]

Well it still isn't true in general because what if g isn't diagonal. But yeah I get your point if g is diagonal.

Lyalpha said:
But when I look at the metric tensor for a flat space I know that

g[itex]^{λ}_{λ}[/itex] = 1

ORLY? Where did you see that?

WannabeNewton said:
What if g is non - diagonal?

This is in general, the metric does not need to be diagonal since [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] and [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] by definition are inverses of each other. If [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] is the inverse of [itex]g_{ab}[/itex], then by definition, [itex]g_a^b = \sum_{i=1}^n g_{ai}g^{ib} = \delta_{ab}[/itex]. Remember, this [itex]g_a^b[/itex] component is a n-term summation and the inverse metric must be defined so this is true.

But what if it's the fundamental metric tensor? Where g[itex]_{00}[/itex] is -1 and the rest are 1? Would I get D-2 ?

WannabeNewton said:
Well it still isn't true in general because what if g isn't diagonal. But yeah I get your point if g is diagonal.

Here:

[tex]A_\mu=g_{\mu\nu}A^\nu[/tex]

[tex]A^\mu=g^{\mu\nu}A_\nu[/tex]

Which implies:

[tex]A^\mu=g^{\mu\nu}g_{\nu\tau}A^\tau[/tex]

If it is true that [tex]A^\mu=\delta^\mu_\tau A^\tau[/tex]

Then it must be that:

[tex]g^{\mu\nu}g_{\nu\tau}=g^\mu_\tau=\delta^\mu_\tau[/tex]

Lyalpha said:
But what if it's the fundamental metric tensor? Where g[itex]_{00}[/itex] is -1 and the rest are 1? Would I get D-2 ?

No, you can only trace the (1,1) form of the metric. You can't trace the purely covariant metric. the (1,1) form of the metric, almost by definition, MUST be diag(1,1,1,1...). See my proof above.

Pengwuino said:
This is in general, the metric does not need to be diagonal since [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] and [itex]g^{ab}[/itex] by definition are inverses of each other.

So you're telling me that for the metric [itex]g_{\mu \nu } = \begin{pmatrix}
1 + 4c^{2}p^{2} & 2cp\\
2cp & 1
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] that [itex]g_{\mu \nu }g^{\mu \nu } = 2[/itex] (c = const.).

WannabeNewton said:
So you're telling me that for the metric [itex]g_{\mu \nu } = \begin{pmatrix}
1 + 4c^{2}p^{2} & 2cp\\
2cp & 1
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] that [itex]g_{\mu \nu }g^{\mu \nu } = 2[/itex] (c = const.).

Yes. And this is because the inverse metric must be defined such that it is true. The inverse for that metric won't just look like 1 over the components of the metric because that does not satisfy [itex]g_{am}g^{mb} = \delta_{ab}[/itex]

Yes, WannabeNewton, see my previous proof...why does this bother you?

yeah my bad forgot to include [itex]2g_{12}g^{12}[/itex] lol

I'm starting with a conformally flat space with the interval ds[itex]^{2}[/itex] = e[itex]^{2φ}[/itex] η[itex]_{ab}[/itex] dx[itex]^{a}[/itex] dx[itex]^{b}[/itex] , where [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]_{ab}[/itex] is a fundamental metric tensor of D-dimensional flat space. I'm trying to find the usual stuff (Christoffel symbols, curvature tensor, ricci tensor, curvature scalar). When it comes to contracting the curvature tensor I get a few [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{c}_{c}[/itex] terms. What would they be in the case I described?

Lyalpha said:
I'm starting with a conformally flat space with the interval ds[itex]^{2}[/itex] = e[itex]^{2φ}[/itex] η[itex]_{ab}[/itex] dx[itex]^{a}[/itex] dx[itex]^{b}[/itex] , where [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]_{ab}[/itex] is a fundamental metric tensor of D-dimensional flat space. I'm trying to find the usual stuff (Christoffel symbols, curvature tensor, ricci tensor, curvature scalar). When it comes to contracting the curvature tensor I get a few [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{c}_{c}[/itex] terms. What would they be in the case I described?

It's D. You know what the components of the metric and inverse metric are for such a simple case. Do the actual summation for even D = 2 and you'll see [itex]\eta_n^{\; n} = D[/itex]

But isn't [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{n}_{n}[/itex] equal to [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{0}_{0}[/itex] + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{1}_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + ... + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{D}_{D}[/itex] where [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{0}_{0}[/itex] = -1 and [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{1}_{1}[/itex], [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex], [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{D}_{D}[/itex] are 1?

Lyalpha said:
But isn't [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{n}_{n}[/itex] equal to [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{0}_{0}[/itex] + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{1}_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex] + ... + [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{D}_{D}[/itex] where [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{0}_{0}[/itex] = -1 and [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{1}_{1}[/itex], [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{2}_{2}[/itex], [itex]\eta[/itex][itex]^{D}_{D}[/itex] are 1?

No [itex]\eta_{00} = -1[/itex] but [itex]\eta_0^0 = 1[/itex]. [itex]\eta_0^0 = \sum_{i=0}^D \eta_{0i}\eta^{i0} = 1[/itex]

Lyalpha said:

Careful with the negative signs. -12+12+12+12=4=D

1. What is the Einstein summation convention?

The Einstein summation convention is a mathematical notation used in tensor calculus to simplify equations involving summation over repeated indices. It states that when an index appears twice in a single term of an equation, it implies summation over all possible values of that index. This helps to reduce the number of terms in a tensor equation and make it more concise.

2. How does the Einstein summation convention differ from standard summation?

The Einstein summation convention differs from standard summation in that it does not require the use of explicit summation symbols (i.e. sigma notation) and summation is implied by repeated indices. This allows for a more compact and readable notation, especially when dealing with higher order tensors.

3. What are metric tensors and how are they related to the Einstein summation convention?

Metric tensors are mathematical objects used to describe the geometry of a space. They define the relationships between different coordinate systems and allow for the measurement of distances and angles. The Einstein summation convention is often used in the manipulation of metric tensors to simplify calculations and equations involving them.

4. How does confusion arise in relation to the Einstein summation convention and metric tensors?

Confusion can arise when one is not familiar with the notation and rules of the Einstein summation convention, or when trying to apply it to more complex equations involving metric tensors. It can also occur when attempting to switch between different conventions of tensor notation, as there are variations used by different disciplines.

5. What are some tips for avoiding confusion when using the Einstein summation convention and metric tensors?

Some tips for avoiding confusion when using the Einstein summation convention and metric tensors include: practicing with simple examples to become familiar with the notation, double-checking equations for errors or incorrect index placement, and consulting with colleagues or reference materials for clarification when needed. It is also important to be aware of any variations in notation that may exist in different fields of study.