Beginner Physics Textbook: Comprehensive Guide for Adults

In summary, the speakers discuss the topic of finding a comprehensive and engaging textbook for learning physics. They suggest avoiding books specifically designed for exams and instead recommend books that cover a wider range of topics. One recommended book is "Understanding Physics" by Jim Breithaupt, which is described as full of good material and encourages critical thinking. However, there are two versions of this book, one around £6 and the other around £30, and it is advised to go to a bookstore and choose the one that appeals the most. Another suggested author is Wolfson, known for well-structured and easy-to-understand textbooks.
Matt1232
Took A-level physics when I was younger but flunked because I was lazy. Now I'm a bit older I'm interested in learning again, but am looking for something a bit more comprehensive and wide-ranging than "exam-passing" condensed textbooks. Can anyone recommend a proper textbook that introduces you to physics in a more full way? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are quite a few that are very readable and contain much more than any of the A level courses ever demand. You really need to steer clear of the books which are aimed at a specific course. They tend to leave out chunks just where it becomes interesting.
'Understanding Physics" by Jim Breithaupt (Thornes) is full of good stuff and will make you think (!) which is what you presumably want. Most of the publishing houses seems to have similar books. I just hope it stays that way. All the A level courses are so attenuated and specific (a special book for each exam board course is only about a tenner) that the sales of 'proper' books (at thirty quid or so) may not justify printing them in the future.

Thanks for the info, there appear to be 2 "Understanding Physics" by Jim Breithaupt. The first is £5.99 on ebay and is described as roughly 100 pages. The other is New Understanding Physics for Advanced Level which appears to be longer and is around £30. Links are below

Understanding physics:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Understanding-Physics-Breithaupt-Jim-New-Paperback-Book-FLASH-Books-/160668519456?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2568970c20#ht_1645wt_1139

New Understanding Physics for Advanced Level:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Understanding-Physics-Advanced-Level-Understand-/200664739833?pt=School_Textbooks_Study_Guides&hash=item2eb88ceff9#ht_1001wt_905

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the 34 quid one that I chose.
I would, actually, recommend going onto your local bookstore and looking at a number of them and choosing the one that you fancy most, in that price bracket. If you like one presentation more than others then you may, just, feel more like reading it when the going gets tough - which it will.

I had a couple textbooks by an author named wolfson. They were well thought out and easy to learn from.

1. What is the purpose of a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults?

A Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults is designed to provide a comprehensive guide for individuals who have little to no background in physics. It covers the fundamental concepts and principles of physics and is written in a way that is easy for adults to understand.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults?

Some common topics covered in a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults include mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It may also cover topics such as waves, sound, and modern physics.

3. Can a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults be used for self-study?

Yes, a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of math and algebra before diving into the textbook.

4. Are there any interactive elements in a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults?

Many Beginner Physics Textbooks for Adults now include interactive elements such as online simulations, videos, and practice problems to enhance the learning experience.

5. Is a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults suitable for individuals with a background in physics?

No, a Beginner Physics Textbook for Adults is not suitable for individuals who already have a background in physics. It is specifically designed for those who are new to the subject and need a comprehensive guide to the basics.