Where Can I Find Beginner-Friendly Books on Relativity?

In summary, the conversation is about a first year college student inquiring about books on special and general relativity. They are looking for recommendations that they can understand and enjoy with their current knowledge. The conversation also briefly touches on the math needed for understanding these concepts and provides book suggestions for both a conceptual and mathematical approach.
Jalo
Hello!
I am in my first year in college studying physics. Is there any good book about special & general relativity that I can read, understand and enjoy with my current knowledge? (I have only had a few hours about this theme, but I've loved it, and also understood the basics. I'd like to understand more than the basics tho).

If there's any other book you think I could be interested in, and also understand, feel free to write it down! I find most of physics themes very interesting.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

If you are a first year in College, can you specify what kind of math you know? Do you want a mathematical description, or more of a conceptual description?

Special relativity should be doable in full mathematical rigor even for a first year college student, as long as you are determined. All the math you would need is basic calculus and algebra and vectors.

General relativity requires tensor calculus (differential geometry) to do in full mathematical rigor, which is usually not part of an average first year college student's box of tools. You can still learn some basics of it.

I really enjoyed "The Einstein Theory of Relativity" by Lillian R Lieber. It's an old book (1930's), and so it didn't introduce the tensors and vectors and one forms in a modern more geometrical viewpoint, but it does give you some insight into how GR is actually done. This book describes both the special and general theories in language that should be accessible.

If you want to look at a more modern viewpoint; however, this is not really the book to go to (all the definitions of tensors and one forms are merely statements like "they transform like...").

Of course, with a book like this, you're not going to go into much detail of the theory. I think the most she does for you is derive the Schwarzschild metric. I think it is a good place to start though.

For special relativity, I recommend A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime: An Introduction to Special Relativity by Thomas A. Moore and the red edition of Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler. For general relativity, I recommend Exploring Black Holes: An Introduction to General Relativity by Taylor and Wheeler, which only requires first-year physics and first-year calculus as prerequisites.

Matterwave said:
If you are a first year in College, can you specify what kind of math you know? Do you want a mathematical description, or more of a conceptual description?

Special relativity should be doable in full mathematical rigor even for a first year college student, as long as you are determined. All the math you would need is basic calculus and algebra and vectors.

General relativity requires tensor calculus (differential geometry) to do in full mathematical rigor, which is usually not part of an average first year college student's box of tools. You can still learn some basics of it.

I really enjoyed "The Einstein Theory of Relativity" by Lillian R Lieber. It's an old book (1930's), and so it didn't introduce the tensors and vectors and one forms in a modern more geometrical viewpoint, but it does give you some insight into how GR is actually done. This book describes both the special and general theories in language that should be accessible.

If you want to look at a more modern viewpoint; however, this is not really the book to go to (all the definitions of tensors and one forms are merely statements like "they transform like...").

Of course, with a book like this, you're not going to go into much detail of the theory. I think the most she does for you is derive the Schwarzschild metric. I think it is a good place to start though.

I was more interested in a mathematical approach. But if I won't understand it, I guess I will start with a conceptual description and try the mathematical description in a year or two.
I'll look up the books you both said! Thanks!

Lillian Lieber's book does have math in it. She goes through a little bit of tensor calculus before describing the curvature tensor, etc.

I just wanted to mention that her approach is the "old" way of approaching tensors whereby you just look at their transformation properties (how their components transform under a general coordinate transformation).

If you want the full-on math, I would suggest Bernard Schutz's "A First Course in General Relativity". Shutz is quite good when it comes to explaining things, and this book is designed for an undergraduate audience. It goes through both special and general relativity. You may have to work at the math a little bit though.

George Jones said:
For general relativity, I recommend Exploring Black Holes: An Introduction to General Relativity by Taylor and Wheeler.
I second that, I think this book is a great didactic work.

What are some good books to read about relativity?

Some popular books on relativity include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Are there any books on relativity that are easy to understand for non-scientists?

Yes, there are several books that explain relativity in a more accessible way, such as "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson and "Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher" by Richard Feynman.

Can I learn about relativity from fictional books?

While fictional books may include elements of relativity, it is not the most reliable source of information. It is recommended to read non-fiction books by reputable scientists to learn about relativity.

Are there any online resources for learning about relativity?

Yes, there are many websites and online courses that cover the basics of relativity, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

Are there any recent books on relativity that cover advancements in the field?

Yes, "The Order of Time" by Carlo Rovelli and "Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space" by Janna Levin are two recent books that discuss the latest developments in relativity and related topics.