Hatcher Vs. May's Algebraic Topology.

In summary, May's book is much clearer than Hatcher's, according to the person speaking. May has precise definitions, while Hatcher uses more illustrative language which may not be as mathematically rigorous. However, some people may prefer Hatcher's approach, as he provides more detailed explanations and proofs. May's book is more concise and serves as a good reference, while Hatcher's may be better suited for students. The person sharing their opinion also mentions that Hatcher's chapter zero may be difficult to understand and suggests skipping it and starting with chapter one instead. They also mention that both books discuss CW complexes, but in different parts, and suggests comparing Hatcher's and May's proofs of Whitehead's theorem to see which
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
I must say thusfar I read through chapter one of May's book and chapter 0 of Hatcher's, May is much more clear than Hatcher, I don't understand how people can recommend Hatcher's text.
May is precise with his definitions, and Hatcher's writes in illustrative manner which is not mathematical rigorous from what I know.

I really don't see why there so much hype over Hatcher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Giving you the benefit of the doubt that this is really a question, I will try to answer it. In the first place, to compare "apples to apples", you should compare section I.1 of hatcher (rather than chapter zero) to chapter 1 of May, since those both discuss the fundamental group, compute it for a circle, and apply it to the fundamental theorem of algebra and brouwer's theorem.

If you do this you may notice the large number of times May uses the phrase "it is easy to see that" or "easy to check". where Hatcher just gives the proof. I suggest this difference explains why some people prefer Hatcher. I.e. Hatcher is just as precise as May but far more detailed. Indeed the first 4 chapters of May's book follow exactly the sequence of topics of hatcher's chapter one, but Hatcher devotes 80 pages to May's 35 to this basic material.

But I am happy you have found a source that works for you. May is certainly an excellent concise reference. I like both, but I can easily see why a student would prefer Hatcher. May even states that his book is not written as a text.

Last edited:
Well, it wasn't a question, merely stated my opinion, and it seems that in amazon's reviews there are some that agree with me.

So to what do I need to compare the zero chapter in Hatcher's, because the part on CW complexes in this chpater was really bad for my taste, for example he defines the smash product:

Code:
The smash product X \wedge Y is then defined to be the quotient XxY/ XvY.
One can think of X \wedge Y as a reduced version of XxY obtained by collapsing away the parts that aren't genuinely a product, the separate factors X and Y.
I believe that if he just wrote explicitly what is XxY / XvY, I would understnad what's it about, but as it is stated it's too wordy for me, sorry, and I just don't get it.

As for the fact that May writes a lot of times that it's easy to see in this particular chapter that I read it means you should check it for yourself, and if you have taken Topology through Munkres, you would understand why it's the way it is.

I have other books that I lend from the library, Massey's basic course and Bredon's geometry and topology, reading chapter zero of Hatcher's besides the parts on homotopy and retraction that I already knew from topology in UG, were really hard to understand, I don't understand why CW complexes are already covered in chapter zero in Hatcher's but in May's and others they appear much later.

well, May does not have a chapter comparable to Hatcher's chapter zero. The introduction to May is the only thing comparable, and it isn't really.

I do not like chapters zero myself, where people try to cram in too much to absorb, by way of introduction, but Hatcher has done this there. Spanier also has an early chapter that is more condensed and hard to read than later chapters. In both cases one should skip those.

I.e. the way to read Hatcher is to skip chapter zero and begin in chapter 1. Then you will be in the same boat as reading chapters 1-5 of May.

But you seem like a quick study, and May's brief presentation is probably more suited for you than Hatcher's somewhat chatty one. There is some advantage to a shorter presentation, provided, as you suggest, one fills in the gaps oneself as exercises.

As for CW complexes, they are discussed throughout, including in the appendix, Hatcher, pp. 519-529. Compare Hatcher's discussion of them for difficulty with the first 3 sections of chapter 10 of May. E.g. compare Hatcher's and May's proofs of Whitehead's theorem, to see which you prefer. Hatcher: pp. 346-7, May pp. 76-77.

But you can't go too far wrong with either book, just take your pick.

It is unfortunate we try to read books in the order they are printed sometimes.

E.g. hartshorne's algebraic geometry book should be read in the order chapters 4,5,1,2,3, or maybe 1,4,5,2,3, but not 1,2,3,4,5.

My presumption that your post should be a question proceeded from my misunderstanding the nature of this thread. It does seem to be a discussion thread and not an academic advice thread, in spite of the larger heading.

The main difference between May and Hatcher is the number of pages, ≈ 250 versus ≈ 500+.

I can understand your frustration with the two textbooks. It is important for mathematical texts to be clear and precise in their definitions and explanations, especially in a subject like algebraic topology. From my experience, different authors have different writing styles and it is up to the reader to find a text that best suits their learning style. While some may find May's book more clear, others may find Hatcher's illustrations helpful in understanding the concepts. It is also possible that Hatcher's book is recommended more often due to its popularity and availability, rather than its clarity. In any case, it is important to find a resource that works best for you and your understanding of the subject.

1. What is the difference between Hatcher and May's Algebraic Topology textbooks?

Hatcher and May's Algebraic Topology textbooks are both popular resources for learning about the subject. However, there are some key differences between the two. Hatcher's textbook, "Algebraic Topology," is known for its clear and concise explanations and its emphasis on geometric intuition. On the other hand, May's textbook, "A Concise Course in Algebraic Topology," is more compact and focuses on the fundamental concepts and techniques of algebraic topology. Additionally, May's textbook includes more advanced topics, such as spectral sequences, while Hatcher's textbook covers more classical topics in depth. Ultimately, the choice between the two textbooks depends on the individual's learning style and goals.

2. Which textbook is better for self-study?

Both Hatcher and May's textbooks are suitable for self-study, but Hatcher's textbook may be more beginner-friendly. It includes more detailed explanations and examples, making it easier for self-learners to grasp the material. However, May's textbook may be better suited for those with a stronger background in mathematics, as it covers more advanced topics and assumes some prior knowledge of algebra and topology.

3. Are there any significant overlaps in content between the two textbooks?

Yes, there are some significant overlaps in content between Hatcher and May's textbooks. Both textbooks cover topics such as homotopy, homology, and cohomology, but they may approach them from slightly different perspectives. Additionally, both textbooks cover the basics of category theory and its applications to algebraic topology. However, there are also some topics that are covered in one textbook but not the other, so it may be beneficial to consult both for a comprehensive understanding.

4. Which textbook is more suitable for research purposes?

It depends on the specific research topic and the individual's background and preferences. Hatcher's textbook may be more suitable for those interested in classical topics and applications of algebraic topology, while May's textbook may be better for those interested in more advanced and abstract topics, such as spectral sequences and higher category theory. It may be helpful to consult both textbooks and other resources for a well-rounded understanding of a particular research topic.

5. Are there any other recommended textbooks or resources for learning about algebraic topology?

Yes, there are many other textbooks and resources available for learning about algebraic topology. Some other popular textbooks include "Topology" by James Munkres and "Algebraic Topology: An Introduction" by William Fulton. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses, that can supplement textbook learning. It may be beneficial to explore a variety of resources to find the ones that best suit your learning style and goals.